Image: Lucy Cooper

What’s it really like to appear on TV?

Molly Willis asks English and Theatre Studies student, Lucy Cooper, about her experience on ITV’s Meet the Parents 

Last weekend, Warwick students switching on to ITV were greeted by a familiar face as bright, bubbly and beautiful third-year English and Theatre Studies student Lucy Cooper featured on the second episode of the brand new dating show Meet The Parents, fronted by Holly Willoughby.

On the show, in which parents must convince the ‘picker’ (Lucy, in this case) to go on a date with their offspring over two other candidates, Lucy was faced with some surprising stories, including one father catching his son in the act with a 47 year-old woman. Eventually, she chose Sam, admitting during their date that fancying his dad was a key factor in her decision!

The Boar TV sat down with Lucy to talk about her silver-screen experience…

So let’s start at the beginning: how did you get involved?

It all seemed way too easy: a Facebook ad, an email to send off… After that there was a phone call and a video where I had to record myself describing a bad date – a request I found all too easy! There were a few more steps, and my recording date, September 19, was confirmed in August.

Was it daunting when you arrived to film the show? What was the guidance you were given like?
The filming day was so exciting! They arranged a taxi to take me to the studios, where I was met by members of the production team. I wasn’t allowed to leave my room in case I bumped into any of the boys from my episode in the corridor. They let me a have a little pre-show wine as well, which I was grateful for.

What were the presenters like?
 I didn’t get to spend much time with the presenters, unfortunately. It was actually quite awkward meeting Holly Willoughby, as she came to introduce herself as I was having my body makeup done. They slathered my arms and legs in foundation, which was a bit strange, and I had my limbs sprawled out, but she was very friendly.

“It’s certainly an experience I’ll treasure”

Looking back, are you still happy with your choice? Did you hesitate when you saw any of the other boys?
When I saw the other boys come out I was actually really glad I went for Sam. He’s so good looking and, in my opinion, way out of my league. I like to tell myself he’s the beauty and I’m the brains. After we were done filming, we all had some drinks at the hotel and went out together, so I met the boys I had rejected as well as the girls from the other episode. It was a bit tense actually, nobody seemed to get on very well, and the girls were definitely flirting with Sam.

Will you be seeing Sam again?
 I’ve seen Sam once since recording, and I’m planning to go and see him in Manchester this weekend. His parents still message me too – they’re such a lovely family! I don’t know what the future holds but we do have fun in each other’s company.

What did you do to celebrate your TV debut?
Unfortunately, I was at an audition for a theatre show at the time it was airing. However, I was with friends, and someone got it up on their laptop so we all gathered around to watch it, which was lovely. Then I went home and watched it again by myself just to check I hadn’t missed any extra cringe-worthy bits!

Overall, how would you rate your experience?
I’d say that I’m happy with how it went. My friends say I came across well, and even my nan approves, which is always a good thing! Really, it was only a tiny little thing, but it’s certainly an experience I’ll treasure.