Photo: Warwick SU

#Warwick2016: An Introduction to Warwick SU

At the end of every year, students elect seven Sabbatical Officers, who lead the Students’ Union (SU). They are elected by the student body, and are responsible for acting as your representatives here at Warwick.

The SU plays a key role in student life; from overseeing societies, to organising various events and running restaurants on campus.

Warwick has over 250 wide-ranging societies, so it is extremely likely that you will find yourself getting involved with the SU in some way or another.

The SU Headquarters is based on central campus and it deals with the day-to-day activities of student life. The SU also provides advice and support on student matters such as reading through housing contracts, student welfare, and any concerns societies may have.

The direction that the SU takes is determined by the Sabbatical Officers the student body elects.

The official election period takes place during the second term of every year, and lasts a week. It is renowned for being a colourful week as candidates plaster the campus with their home-made signs.

This year, the SU’s top priorities as led by President Luke Pilot include: securing a lecture and seminar-free week 0, so that studies do not interfere with Fresher’s Week; a commitment to prioritising student well-being and facilitating the development of an eco-campus at the university.

Each candidate is given the opportunity to participate in a question and answer session, so that students can make a final decision on who they want to vote for.

The elected Sabbatical Officers are then responsible for liaising directly with the university to act on behalf of students.

There are various other roles and responsibilities the Officers also have, covering a wide scope of the different issues students face. This ensures a level of accountability in all aspects of your student life.

In addition to the Sabbatical Officers, the SU also consists of various democratic bodies. These include Course Representatives (Reps) and the Student Assembly.

The Course Reps sit on Student-Staff Liaison Committees where they work directly with course staff to voice any concerns regarding the subject matter. This can range from the way the module is delivered, or most recently, the need for lecture recordings across all courses.

Did you know that Luke Pilot is colour blind? Don’t forget to go and Meet the Sabbs to find out more fun facts!