Image: Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung / Flickr

Warwick Professor wins prestigious literary prize

A.L. Kennedy, Professor of Creative Writing at the University of Warwick, has been awarded the prestigious Heinrich Heine Prize for 2016.

The prize is one of the most important literary awards, recognising writers who promote “social and political progress, international understanding or the realization of the unity of all people spread.”

Kennedy is the author of 18 books: eight novels, seven short story collections and three works of non-fiction. Her work has been translated into a number of languages.

She is also a regular contributor to The Guardian, The Observer and the BBC. Earlier this year, her novel Serious Sweet was longlisted for the Man Booker Prize.

[Kennedy’s] views on political and social conditions sharpen social discussions about the Iraq war and the proposed referendum on the United Kingdom’s membership of the European Union in the tradition of Heinrich Heine. A.L Kennedy is a great literary figure and a fractious European.

The Judges

The prize is awarded by the City Council of Düsseldorf, and began in 1973. It is named in honour of the 19th century German poet Christian Johann Heinrich Heine.

Previous winners include the playwright, Max Frisch; Israeli writer, Amos Oz; and sociologist and philosopher, Jürgen Habermas.

Kennedy is the first UK recipient of the award and the fourth woman of a total 21 recipients.

The judges said: “[Kennedy’s] views on political and social conditions sharpen social discussions about the Iraq war and the proposed referendum on the United Kingdom’s membership of the European Union in the tradition of Heinrich Heine. A.L Kennedy is a great literary figure and a fractious European.”

Kennedy commented that she was delighted to win the prize. She stated: “I am immensely proud to have received such a prestigious and ethical award for my work. I can only express my gratitude to the judges.”