Image: Warwick Glee

Warwick Glee perform tribute to student

October 13 saw the Glee society perform a tribute to Simi Sahota, a Warwick student who sadly passed away over the summer.

Members of Glee sung a rendition of Echosmith’s hit ‘Cool Kids’ in memory of Simi, who was a valued part of the society. It was recorded, with a video later posted on the club’s Facebook page.

The song ‘Cool Kids’ was performed because it was sung last year by Simi. Members of Glee felt that performing it again would be a fitting dedication to her rendition.

In the caption alongside the video, Simi was described as having “an infectious smile on her face”, and was “always up for performing assignments that we [Glee] all loved listening to”.

We want everyone to be able to remember and celebrate a girl who was the very essence of what Glee is all about.

Warwick’s Glee Society

Simran Kaur Sandhu, one of Glee’s Social Secretaries, echoed the words posted alongside the video. She said: “Simi was the literal embodiment of everything Glee was about: a lovely, honest woman who loved to sing and was a great friend.

“It was really emotional but we think that Simi would’ve really loved it. We are all always thinking of her and we know she’s with us wherever we go and in whatever we do.”

Glee society also said: “We want everyone to be able to remember and celebrate a girl who was the very essence of what Glee is all about.”

“A remarkable young woman”

Fourth-year Maths student and Welfare Officer of Glee, Olivia McKibbin, commented: “Losing her has been a devastating blow for all of us and we wanted to find a way for all of us to remember her and to show her friends and family how important she was to us.

“Simi’s performance of ‘Cool Kids’ is one we will always remember, as the sentiment is one that resonates with many of us.”

Simi, who was studying Life Sciences, was described by her personal tutor, Leanne Williams, as: “A remarkable young woman who dealt with adversity on a daily basis.”

She went on to comment, in a university in memoriam statement: “Despite this she was fully determined to achieve what she could on her own merits with no expectation of help from others for which she was greatly admired.”