Chris Hughes

New Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Education announced

Professor Chris Hughes has been announced as Warwick’s new Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Education.

He will begin his five-year term on 1 November, having previously been the Chair of the Faculty of Social Sciences. His predecessor, Professor Christina Hughes, will move to Sheffield Hallam University.

Chris will join the other two Pro-Vice-Chancellors, Professor Simon Swain and Professor Pam Thomas, as senior representatives on the Executive Team of University management.

In his new role, Chris will be responsible for the provision of undergraduate and postgraduate study. The key areas he will be targeting include widening participation and improving student satisfaction.

As well as overseeing the Social Sciences Faculty, he has particular teaching and research interest in Japanese politics and East Asian security and holds a professorship in International Politics and Japanese Studies.

Regarding the appointment, Vice- Chancellor Stuart Croft said: “Chris has secured a huge amount of respect and good-will from students and staff across the University and externally through his departmental and faculty leadership roles.

“A great colleague”

“He is a great colleague with a first-class teaching and research record, and I am delighted that he is joining our executive team to lead the continuing enhancement of Warwick’s teaching and learning.”

Chris commented: “We face a rapidly developing environment for teaching and learning, and I am confident Warwick can continue to deliver successfully for our staff and students.

“I look forward to working with academic, administrative and service departments, and of course our students, to ensuring an excellent education strategy.”

Chris Hughes will take over from Professor Christina Hughes, the University’s Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Teaching and Learning, as she moves on to Sheffield Hallam as Pro-Vice-Chancellor.

Christina was originally an undergraduate at Warwick and then a PhD student here. Stuart Croft said that during her time here she “has served in so many capacities”.

He continued: “Her national and international academic, and academic leadership, reputation will assist her to make a significant contribution, not just to Sheffield Hallam but to our sector as whole. We wish her well in her role.”