Photo: Sarah Morland

Local charity organise sponsored sleep out in Leamington Spa

A sponsored sleep out fundraising event is being held by a local charity called The Helping Hands Community, in Leamington Spa.

The sponsored sleep out will take place on the night of Friday 11 November at the All Saints Parish Church.

The fundraising event will aid in raising awareness of the problems which are faced by those who are homeless, belong to low-income families as well as victims of domestic violence.

The charity would also like to involve local businesses and groups of friends, allowing an opportunity to meet and network with “like-minded people” from the area.

Early bird tickets are available for £15 while normal priced tickets are priced at £20, all of which include an evening meal, breakfast, hot drinks, and a Helping Hand beanie.

The Helping Hands Community held a sleep out last year, which saw them win the Pride of Warwick Special Award for Charity earlier this year.

Helping Hands manager Lianne Kirkman told The Leamington Observer: “The sleep out is also an opportunity for us to share details about the work of Helping Hands and what we are doing and planning to do to help people off the streets of Leamington and the surrounding towns.”

Helping Hands Community Project trustee Susie Mehta said: “The sleep out will also help us raise vital funds for our new Drop-In Cafe in Gloucester Street, Leamington.

“We would love to invite the students of Warwick University to join with us.”

Susie added that there will be: “Live music, good food, great company and a chance to reflect on the lives of those who really are less fortunate.

“On the night, there will be a chance to talk with some members of the community who regularly ‘Sleep Out’ for real and a rare opportunity to hear their experiences for yourselves.”

Further information about the event including ticket purchases can be found on their Eventbrite webpage.