Image: University of Warwick Quidditch Club

Join a sports club: you won’t regret it

My first year of university was great for one reason: the sport I play. I can’t imagine what it would have been like if I hadn’t accidently stumbled upon the stall during fresher’s week. Because the sport I play isn’t a mainstream sport such as hockey, netball, or lacrosse, I’m often asked why I joined. The answer to that question is because of how unique it is: prior to starting university, I didn’t even know Quidditch existed. I was simply curious to find out how it worked, how it was played and if I was any good.

The more ordinary sports were all very appealing, but the only thing that stopped me joining them was my lack of fitness. I wasn’t very ‘sporty’. I was the type of child who dreaded P.E and often found ways around any sort of exercise. Equally, my younger (and only) sister is extremely athletic and excels in every sport she attempts. Perhaps, being the eldest child, I didn’t want to force myself to play a sport that I knew my younger sister was better at. Regardless, the sport I found transformed my way of living. Dramatic, I know, but hear me out.

When I started university, my fitness levels were incredibly low. The problem was never my diet, more that I never did any exercise. But I found Quidditch and I liked it. In fact, I really liked it. I liked it so much that all I could think of was how to improve.

I liked Quidditch so much that all I could think of was how to improve.

I began running four or five times a week which steadily improved my fitness; I cut down on alcohol and began testing myself with fitness challenges. This may not sound like much, but considering my hatred of any form of physical activity in the past, this was a huge step for me. A year later and I’m looking into starting netball, basketball, and pole fitness. Consider my sport a gateway sport.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that playing my sport consisted of plenty of travelling. Warwick is actually one of the best in Europe at Quidditch, which allowed me to play at an international level. This year we played at the European Championships in Gallipoli, Italy, and finished amongst the top five teams in Europe. Because Quidditch is played across Europe, I can carry on playing the sport during my year abroad in Bologna, Italy. I met Bologna’s team at the European Championships and knowing that I already had friends even before arriving has helped the transition so much.

I’m currently writing this article from a coffee shop in Bologna knowing that later on today i’ll be able to train with a friendly group of like-minded individuals. I don’t know how I’d have coped alone in a foreign country without this very group of people.

The sport you choose is ultimately insignificant. Be it netball, football, ultimate frisbee or even quidditch; just find the right one for you. I promise you: once you do, it will completely change your university experience.