Image: Rob Madge

“The highlight of my time at Warwick”: Why Arts Societies Matter

I had never imagined I would go to university. My plan was to finish sixth form, audition for drama school and be able to call myself a RADA graduate within three years. In hindsight, I was clearly a little too optimistic for my own good. However, once I arrived at Warwick, I finally understood what it meant to be told to “go away and do some growing up” (fair enough, they weren’t quite that blunt but their point still stands). I am now going into my final year at university as President of Music Theatre Warwick (or MTW as it is more affectionately known) and I believe I can finally tick off that ‘growing up’ bit on my checklist.

Getting involved in the arts societies, specifically MTW, has been the highlight of my time at Warwick. Where I once struggled to imagine university life, I now cannot imagine my life without it. MTW has taught me lifelong skills, not just how to appropriately flair a pair of jazz hands, but more importantly, confidence and professionalism.

The standard at Warwick belies what one might grant the derogative ‘student-production’ label. After all, members are given the opportunity to perform in the theatres of the Warwick Arts Centre, the biggest of its kind in the Midlands, a venue that also plays host to the likes of Paul Merton, Nina Conti and Dawn French.

The standard at Warwick belies what one might grant the derogative ‘student-production’ label.

Being so active in a student-led arts society is nothing short of a learning curve. While we are lucky enough to perform on the Warwick Arts Centre stage, it’s the process of getting to that point that makes you realise just how valuable arts societies (and, indeed, the arts) are, especially to the young. Although putting on a production at university requires a thoroughly professional attitude, such as creating an extensive marketing plan in order to ensure that the 600-seat theatre is filled, it is crucial to remember that students have been brought together by their passion. Their love for theatre can never be spoilt by a society’s need to constantly strengthen its achievements. For this reason, it is important to recognise in times of stress that we are volunteering to take part in that which we most enjoy. As a result, compassion is key.

However, finding the balance between the seemingly growing dichotomy of professionalism and said compassion is no easy task. Auditions must be dealt with sensitively, yet rehearsals require stamina like you wouldn’t believe: most members on a weekly basis find themselves focusing on their degree during the average nine-to-five routine, but don’t leave campus till gone 10pm, till that scene in Act Two is polished to perfection. It is an inevitable challenge but once you have reached that moment on the opening night, when you’re seeing the well-earned results of a show that you have helped create as a student body, as a collective, there is no prouder feeling.

Most members find themselves focusing on their degree during the average nine-to-five routine, but don’t leave campus till gone 10pm, till that scene in Act Two is polished to perfection. 

Being involved in an arts society has presented me with countless opportunities, be it hosting a summer arts festival, getting the chance to take new-writing to the Edinburgh Fringe and even bringing together students across the country in an inter-university musical theatre competition. The skills I have acquired thanks to my time at Warwick will last a lifetime and for that I am immensely grateful.