Photo: Rigers Rukaj/ Flickr

Global Student Stories: 17/10/2016

By
Oct. 17, 2016

Here are this week’s Global Student Stories, including news from India, South Africa, Malaysia and the USA.

India: Students burn effigies of various people during Dussehra

On the occasion of Dussehra, an important Hindu festival, a group of students of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) burnt effigies of various people, including Prime Minister Narendra Modi as Ravan, the symbol of evil.

Another effigy was of JNU vice-chancellor Jagadesh Kumar. The National Students Union of India claim that he was responsible for ‘politicisation’ of an incident on February 9 where students apparently raised anti-India slogans.

The students carried a placard with slogans reading: “Truth shall prevail over evil.”

“The effigy-burning was to symbolise our dissatisfaction with the current government. The idea is to root out the evil from governance and bring about a system that is pro-student and pro-people,” said Sunny Diman, an NSUI activist.

The government is investigating the matter and it is believed that the students will be penalised for their actions.

South Africa: Violent clashes between students and authorities occur in #FeesMustFall protests

Clashes between students and authorities in the #FeesMustFall protests across the country have become increasingly violent.

At Witwatersrand University in Johannesburg, a former student has teamed up with medicine students to help injured protesters.

Identifying himself as Jay, he explained: “I felt that it was my duty to help. We are still short of medical kits; condoms help with rubbing off tear gas‚ water and whatever you can give.”

Ivan‚ a certified paramedic and postgraduate student at Witwatersrand‚ said: “We are here because Witwatersrand still refuses to pay for any medical support and campus health is closed‚ so we are on our own.”

The medic team comprises of more than 20 students. They treat students for injuries ranging from gunshot and rubber bullet wounds, to asthma attacks from inhaling tear gas.

Malaysia: Government looks into rise in recorded teen pregnancies involving students

Perak recorded 615 cases of teen pregnancy involving students last year, prompting the government to look seriously into the matter.

The figure represents 78% out of the total 787 cases of teen pregnancy at government clinics.
State Health Committee chairman Datuk Dr Mah Hang Soon said the number of cases recorded was less than the 892 cases recorded in 2014.

However, he said the matter should not be viewed lightly and efforts must be made to curb the figures, including through educational advocacy for teenagers.

USA: Officials conclude investigation into two racially charged Snapchat photos

Officials at the University of North Dakota say they have concluded their investigation of two racially charged Snapchat photos that appeared on the social media platform last month.

One picture showed four white female students in black face masks with the caption “Black lives matter”, while another comprised three white students flashing a peace sign reading “Locked the black b***h out.”

President of the University, Mark Kennedy, was allegedly ‘appalled’ by the postings, averring that he was ‘aware students and other members of the community were hurt by the incidents.’
However, the university has decided not to penalise the students.

According to officials, the investigation found that disciplining those in question would be an infringement on the right of free speech.