Image: PublicDomainPictures.net

Get fit, save funds: an insider’s guide

Are you still reeling from the staggering prices of sports clubs and facilities at Warwick? Do not despair, because I was in the same boat as you a year ago. Since then, I have devised multiple ways to stay fit on campus without spending such a large amount of money.

Alternative Gyms

If you thought the £250 gym on campus was the only option available for gym buffs, you’re wrong. There are several other gyms near campus – some even within walking distance – that offer monthly memberships for far less than this. Most of these gyms also offer various other fitness classes at absolute no extra cost too!

Dance Societies

For those of you who like your exercise to include a good dose of fun, our University has a large number of dance societies; all of which host regular classes. Warwick Pole and Aerial Arts society specialises in strengthening your muscles with their regular ‘Stretch and Strength’ classes, alongside their performance classes. These societies are considerably cheaper than the sports clubs and don’t really feel like a “work out” either.

Warwick Fitness demands no membership fees and offers per session classes starting from £2.

Warwick Fitness

A newcomer in the fitness arena, the budding Warwick Fitness is the best answer to staying fit in between a busy university schedule. Ranging from fitness sessions that target your whole body to Yoga to even nutritional classes that are held all over campus, Warwick Fitness demands no membership fees and offers per session classes starting from £2, weekly passes that are £6, or termly passes that cost just £30!

Quidditch

The Harry Potter society at Warwick helps you realise your dorky childhood fantasies. Quidditch has grown to become an official inter-university sport in recent years and, trust me, it’s the complete deal with broomsticks and hoops. A quirky combination of dodgeball, basketball and rugby, Quidditch (for muggles) is open to everyone, no matter what your level of expertise is – all you have to be is a member of the society!

One thing that you can be sure to experience at Warwick is lush greenery. So why not utilise it to stay fit?

Running routes

One thing that you can be sure to experience at Warwick is lush greenery. So why not utilise it to stay fit? The university has numerous running and cycling routes that are free of charge, with the added bonus of familiarising yourself with campus as you run.

Lakeside courts

One of the prettiest spots on campus, Lakeside offers all students access to the various basketball, netball and tennis courts for, at most, a minimal charge. It’s an amazing way to spend some quality time playing your favourite sport without having to spend tons on joining sports club.

Students can access Warwick Sport’s swimming pool, sauna, courts and gym by paying on a per session basis, which is perfect for the occasional (and lazy) user.

Pay & Play

Warwick Sport allows students to access their swimming pool, sauna, courts and gym by paying on a per session basis. Although this isn’t viable for someone who does these activities on a regular basis, it’s perfect for the occasional (and lazy) user.

Biking

If you have to make regular visits to Milburn house or Gibbet hill, or live in Tile Hill, Canley or Earlsdon, biking is the perfect way to stay active. Why spend £300 on a bus pass when you can stay fit for £50?!