Image Credit: Suzume Gameplay

Gaming at Warwick: League of Legends Society

Whilst it might not make for the most original acronym, Warwick LoL one of the most engaged and dynamic societies on campus. League of Legends Society, dedicated to one of the biggest and fastest growing competitive games on the planet and linked officially with the developer Riot, is the longest running E-sports society at Warwick and caters to a wide skill and ability range. Last year we had players ranging from those who’d only been playing for a few weeks, up to somebody who was ranked as one of the top 200 players in Europe.
We’re the University of Warwick’s official representatives for all games in the National University E-sports League. Whilst naturally our main focus is on League of Legends teams, we entered several Hearthstone and Counter Strike players in the past academic year, and plan to continue doing so. The NUEL has only diversified this summer, adding several games including colourful shooter Overwatch and (far more importantly) exploding car football simulator Rocket League. If competing for Warwick in any of these games takes your fancy get in touch and we’ll see if we can help you along!

league_of_legends_showmatch_gamescom_2014_14768148650

With impressive stages and large cash prizes, theres plenty of reasons to get involved with LoL. Image Credit: Wikimedia/Commons

We’re by no means a small society; we ran 9 LoL teams last year, and we plan to break into double figures this time! Last year our best team reached the top 8 in the country, and we’re hoping to build upon that success this year. We also dominated our regional league, taking the top three spots.

It isn’t all about the ‘elite’ players though. One of our lower ranked teams made it into the final week of playoffs, knocking out a few considerably more skilled and very bemused opponents on the way. And whilst not every team preformed quite as well, that sense of teamwork and the experience of having fun with your mates is every bit as important to our teams as how highly they finished. For us the society is as much about creating an enjoyable and friendly community as it is about winning tournaments.

taipei_assassins_at_lol_world_championship_2_2012

Get involved with LoL and you too may one day be as stylish as the Taipei Assassins. Image Credit: Wikimedia/Commons

If this all sounds a bit serious, then don’t worry; we hold lots of social events to give members a chance to hang out and spend time more casually. Our biggest event last year was a viewing party held in the student cinema for the final of the world championship, which was hosted in Europe and covered by the BBC. This year have a room booked for every single day of the World Championship so fans can come along and watch. We also hold semi-frequent gaming nights where people can bring along laptops to a booked out room somewhere on campus and play into the early hours. We have copious amounts of cabling and throughout the years are planning on running competitions at these events. This would mean prizes. Everyone likes prizes right?

The first of these socials is going to be on the 15th October (we wouldn’t want you to have to miss out on all the parties of Fresher’s Fortnight).

We hope to see you at our events throughout the year and on the Summoner’s Rift.

May your teammates be helpful, your Yasuo not feed and your favourite champion escape the nerf bat.