Image: RaW/ Facebook

Elsewhere at Warwick – 15/10/16

Here are a few stories happening on campus, including radio award nominations, “Are You OK?” campaign, National Chocolate Week at Curiositea, Free Concert, week 2 taster sessions.

University radio station nominated for numerous awards
Radio at Warwick (RaW) was nominated for Best Student Radio at the Student Radio Association Awards nominations. RaW were nominated for this category alongside radio stations from the University of Nottingham, Nottingham Trent University, the University of Cardiff, King’s College London and the University of Westminster who were last year’s winners. RaW also had nominations in other categories; Henry Riley was nominated for best interview for his interview with Gyles Brandreth. RaW sport was nominated for best sports programme. The Student Radio Association Awards is sponsored by the BBC and Global and is arguably the biggest set of awards for student radio stations. The night of the awards ceremony is 10 November.

Are You OK?
Warwick has launched a new campaign to target mental health issues. The “Are You OK?” is a campaign which aims to help students be more open and aware about the issues surrounding mental health and wellbeing. The campaign was well supported with numerous sports clubs getting involved in various creative ways. The Warwick Devils spelt the slogan out with pom poms and Athletics had a team photo holding signs with the campaign’s message. There were also various events throughout the week such as a mindfulness and meditation class as well as a ‘chippy’ social with Northern Society. Some lecturers also played the Student Unions’ promotional video before their class.

Curiositea celebrates National Chocolate week
Curiositea celebrated National Chocolate week by launching their series of ‘chocoholics anonymous’ specials which included salted caramel hot chocolate, white chocolate wonder and a vegan chocolate Oreo shake. They also spread to deserts such as Toblerone torte and peanut butter cheesecake. It is rumoured that there was so much demand for these that some may appear on the permanent menu in the future.

Free Concert 2016
Warwick’s annual Free Concert took place on Wednesday October 12 night at the Arts Centre. It featured performances from some of Warwick’s largest music societies such as Warwick’s Symphony Orchestra, Music Theatre Warwick, Brass Society, Wind Orchestra and a selection of choirs. The concert encouraged everyone to get involved including first-year students and newcomers to the societies. The event was well attended and filled Butterworth Hall.

Week two taster sessions
Week two saw the continuation of societies inviting newcomers to join their taster sessions with the aim of attracting new members. Trampolining Society took this a step further and did an outdoor exhibition bounce outside the entrance to the Arts Centre. There were also various drama performances on the Piazza steps improvising scenes for students to watch and join in with. Week 2 also saw a significant increase in the attendance of newcomers to sport circling events than in the previous week. Rowing had to circle outside due to the high demand for circling spaces indoors.