Image: Warwick Media Library

Elsewhere at Warwick – 9/10/16

New Freshers events announced
The full schedule for Freshers’ fortnight has been released by the Student Union (SU), on top of other events announced at the beginning of September. Tuesday Week 1 will see Warwick Snow present Avalanche, their annual tour launch party with headliner Eton Messy. Tuesday Week 2 will see Warwick Economics Society taking over The Copper rooms with guest The Bugzy Malone Show. The event will offer grime, hip-hop and R&B along with performances by “an icon of the UK Grime scene.” Tickets are still available for particular events so get them while you can!

Student Driver’s Card
A new process for applying for a Student University Driver’s Card has been implemented. Students are now asked to complete an online application form, as well as booking a minibus assessment session if relevant. The application will be checked and authorised before a driver card is issued. The cards can be collected from the central administration office in the Student Union Headquarters (SUHQ).

Nominations opened for SU Autumn Elections
Nominations have now opened for Warwick Student’s Union (SU) Autumn Elections. Students can be nominated to stand on an SU executive committee, an international officer position or one of various faculty representative positions. There are seven SU execs to get involved with, which include Democracy, Development, Welfare, Societies, Education, Postgrad and Sport. Nominations close at the end of Week 2, so there is plenty of time to get involved.

New bike racks in the library
The library has recently installed 4 cycle-powered phone charger desks to provide extra desk space and charging sockets for the start of the Autumn term. The cycle desks are designed to allow students to keep fit by cycling whilst studying at the desks. The cycle pedals convert the calories you burn while exercising into electricity for devices. The bicycles are each handmade, and have been made from sustainable and recycled materials.

Orientation week for international students at Warwick
The week beginning Monday 26 September saw Orientation Week take place for international students arriving at Warwick for their first year. The purpose of the week is to provide events for international students to help them to settle in as well as providing necessary information upon their arrival. Various societies held events for students to take part in, with Warwick Jailbreak hosting a string of challenges, which saw the winners take home prizes. Some of the challenges included the longest conga line, most inventive pose and best photo competitions.