Image: Flickr/Brian Godfrey

Column: Rio’s Artistry

When people talk about the Olympics; sport, success, medals and patriotism are just a few of the many aspects that spring to mind, but for me the importance of art was demonstrated beautifully in Rio this summer. Brazil provided the world with colour and eye-catching artistic traditions on the world sporting stage. The opening ceremony started this pattern off when we remember the beautiful roof-top scene projected into the stadium as a dancer elegantly leapt across the rooftops of Brazil.

Artistic representation of a country is something that I believe should be a priority for the games. 

From the successful reputation of London 2012 to live up to, the carnival atmosphere created a wonderful contrast to the Europeanstyle performance shown four years ago. However, both styles are tremendous in their own ways. Yet, I believe Rio showed the importance of art for this historic sporting event, which may have previously been forgotten. Clearly, sporting triumph and individual athletes are at the centre, but artistic representation of a country is something that I believe should be a priority for the games.

Brazil achieved this marvellously. The beauty of Brazilian culture was shown at every venue, every ceremony and with every medal that was won.

We must be grateful that Brazil has reminded us of the importance of art and culture on the biggest world sporting stage.

The beauty of artistic representation is even shown in many sports such as the dressage as skilled athletes control their horses to dance elegantly to music. Gymnastics shows the precision and strength required to create beautiful routines and medalwinning performances. But the most poignant example was shown through the intriguing Brazilian culture, displayed through their eco-friendly approach to the games. Their exciting and energetic approach to sport came to the forefront in the football stadium as they celebrated as only this nation could.

We must be grateful that Brazil has reminded us of the importance of art and culture on the biggest world sporting stage. It’s a platform for all nations to patriotically express their strengths through national and international triumphs.