BHM: The Importance of Reading Black Literature

The role of literature in bringing Black History to the forefront of conversation, particularly in a Western society, should not be underestimated. Reading black literature is a fascinating and important journey for the reader, allowing for the poignant remembrance of historical events and celebration of African and Caribbean culture, especially in the next few weeks of Black History Month.

An important black author to consider is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Set in 1960s Nigeria, Half of a Yellow Sun is the second novel written by award-winning Nigerian author. The plot follows various characters as they struggle through the turmoil and conflict of the Biafran War or Nigerian Civil War.  As a prominent young spokesperson for her generation, Adichie spoke about the role of African novelists in an interview.  She explained: ‘I wanted to make a strongly-felt political point about who should be writing the stories of Africa.’

Reading black literature is a fascinating and important journey for the reader

With a time-frame spanning several years, Adichie allows the reader to follow the war’s development from initial causes to the full impact it eventually has upon the characters’ identities.  The main characters vary in age and background: Olanna is a young black woman, Ugwu is a servant boy of thirteen years old, and Richard is a white English writer. The three distinctive voices in the novel permit exploration of themes such as the tension between Westerners and native Africans, identity, and the empowerment of women.

What struck me primarily about the novel was its incredible depiction of raw emotion.  Adichie’s stunning combination of raw emotional intensity, along with her ability to embed in-depth historical insight, allows the reader to connect completely with her characters’ situations. Despite knowing very little about the history and setting, I was entranced by the relatable characters and the political and historical subjects permeating the text, which meant it held relevance even to me as a student at a British 21st century university.

In light of Black History Month, novels such as these give a platform for the culture to be discussed, and reach a wider international audience

One of the themes of the novel is the domination of Western journalism. In covering the death of a single English person, in a war in which thousands of Nigerians died, the reader realises that the representation of Nigerians is non-existent in British media coverage. Bringing to the forefront of the media and society the achievements of African countries’ inhabitants, and their place in history, is one of the crucial aims of the novel.  In light of Black History Month, novels such as these give a platform for African culture to be discussed, and reach a wider international audience.

Image Credits: arlingtontxlib / Flickr (Header)