Flickr: Steve Baker

14 “Killer Clown” reports in Warwickshire

14 reports of “Killer Clown” craze incidents have surfaced in Warwickshire, including a University of Warwick student’s encounter last Sunday afternoon in Leamington Spa.

The American trend sees people put on clown masks, and sometimes even dress up in full clown costumes, in an attempt to scare the public.

It has brought reported occurrences near the Hope and Anchor pub on Hill Street, Whitnash and Warwick Gates in Leamington. Sightings have also been reported in Stratford, and another student was chased whilst at Cannon Park.

A student’s encounter unfolded on Sunday 16 October at around 1:30pm.

Hattie Rowan, a second-year Hispanic Studies with French student, said: “I was walking down Brunswick Street in Leamington when this car drove past and a person wearing a clown mask stuck his face out at me. It really made me jump.”

I was walking down Brunswick Street in Leamington when this car drove past and a person wearing a clown mask stuck his face out at me.

Hattie Rowan, second-year languages student

The incident occurred on Sunday 16 October at 1:30pm. Hattie added: “Luckily nothing more sinister happened.”

The clown craze has also strayed to social media. Online reports of clowns are included in the 14 reports of clown-related incidents received by Warwickshire Police last week.

Clowns have attempted to befriend people on social networks, and are known internationally to be posting threats – particularly against schools.

The police have alerted the public about the great distress that the clown pranks can induce.

Superintendent David Gardner of Warwickshire Police has said: “Whilst we understand that such incidents could be considered pranks by some I would like to appeal to those carrying out this behaviour, or thinking of taking part, to really consider the distress and fear they could cause people, particularly the more vulnerable members of our community such as children and the elderly.”

The police ask that you call their non-emergency number 101 if you wish to report any anti-social behaviour.