Image: Norsketalenter8000 / Wikimedia Commons

Should consent feature in more storylines on TV?

Trigger warning: mention of rape

Hollyoaks has decided to air a storyline about sexual consent during fresher’s week and here is why I think they deserve a round of applause.

The issue of consent and its true meaning has only recently been highlighted in the media, yet there’s still a stigma surrounding it. Society is ridiculously reluctant to discuss the theme of consent; however, through presenting the issue of consent within popular TV shows, it raises awareness of controversial issues and creates public debates.

This then allows consent to lose the stigma and silence surrounding it. Not only does the theme of consent allow people to become aware of the issue, but it also lets victims (using this term very lightly) know that they don’t have to be silenced, that they can speak freely about their experience – it shuns victim shaming and rightfully replaces it with the education of the issue of consent.

It shuns victim shaming and rightfully replaces it with the education of the issue of consent.

I think it’s great that Hollyoaks has worked heavily with Rape Crisis in order to ensure their content regarding the issue is sensitive. You can easily compare this to Eastenders’ latest controversial plot regarding the non-existent rape conviction of Deano.

408725040_0a2b49048b_o

Consent issues arise at a ‘traffic light’ party. Image: Ahn Tu Tran/Flickr

People were so unhappy with Deano’s result they presented their views on social media. For example, the Metro posted an article from a real life rape survivor and her response to Deano’s controversial verdict.

That’s why it’s brilliant that Hollyoaks have worked with such an organisation: because it highlights how they’re not just using the theme of consent for entertainment purposes, they’re actually using their place on the media platform to present a powerful message.

The more it’s portrayed in the media, the more educated society will become, the more myths will be eradicated

The director, Zoe Bailie, even stated that they “hope[d] to break down the myths surrounding consent” – so kudos to you, let’s see how it turns out.

Without giving too much away, Ellie Nightingale (Sophie Porley) attends a Traffic Light Party and, the morning after, she finds herself with no memory of any sexual contact. The plot follows her development as a character with the issue of consent. 

I do think that a lot more shows should involve the theme of consent – the more it’s portrayed in the media, the more educated society will become, the more myths will be eradicated.