Photo: Ian Halsey / Flickr

Leamington Spa man charged with attempted murder

Warwickshire Police have now charged Daniel William Bourke, of Leamington Spa, after a woman was found in her home with multiple stab wounds last week.

Police were called to the incident at Newland Road on the evening of the 26 August, where the female victim was found with stab wounds to her neck, back, and abdomen.

The victim, who is also from Leamington Spa, was taken to hospital, where her condition remains critical but stable.

Burke, aged 45, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder at the scene and remained in police custody. Warwickshire Police were later granted more time to question the suspect.

He appeared at the Warwickshire Magistrates Court on Monday 29 August, where he was charged with attempted murder of the woman, who is in her 30s.

Detective Inspector Jon Belcher said: “At this time, we believe the suspect and victim were known to each other.”

Warwickshire Police have added today: “[Bourke] will next appear at the Court on 29 September 2016, for plea and trial preparation hearing.”

The news comes just a month before Warwick students prepare to move back to university.

Alice Ridge, a third-year Law student at Warwick University said: “It’s so scary to hear, you think of Leamington as a safe student space, with mostly Warwick students as your neighbours.

“But we’re no longer in the safety of the ‘bubble’ of campus.”