Photo: Hamza Daoui/ Flickr

Leamington’s Smack is being refurbished

Popular Leamington Spa nightclub, Smack, is being refurbished, and is set to be finished in time for students returning to Warwick in September.

A full refurbishment of the Tavistock Street club is currently underway, with bosses telling The Coventry Telegraph that the interior changes are part of a “radical new look.”

Smack was voted the 7th best nightclub in the world in 2014, and is a firm favourite amongst University of Warwick students.

Followers of the nightclub’s social media were given previews of drawings and plans for the revamp in late July, which boasted sleek, modern designs.

The teasers on Twitter and Facebook show monochrome flooring, cut vinyl black and white criss-cross flooding to create illusions, and wireframe walls. There are also mentions of “chandelier shimmer” and “luxe shimmer hinting”.

Photo: Smack Leamington Spa/ Facebook
One of the pictures teased on Smack’s Facebook page.
Photo: Smack Leamington Spa / Facebook

The club has a main room and a downstairs, and it appears that both areas will be given a full makeover.

Along with the refurbishments, the club is also currently recruiting a new resident DJ for their downstairs room, to bring hip-hop, soul, R&B and other music styles to the club.

This comes at the same time as news that Moo Bar in Russell Street, another nightlife attraction in Leamington, is searching for new weekly DJs to bring a fresh style.

Abigail Sherwood, second-year Chemistry student, commented: “I never found Smack’s interior very appealing, so hopefully the interior revamp will be a real improvement for the vibe of the club, and I’m excited to see what it looks like.”

The nightclub management has been contacted for comment about the changes, and this article will be updated following their reply.