Image: Facebook/Warwick Sport

Why you should join Women’s Rugby

Rugby has been one of the UK’s favourite sports for years and until recently was played almost exclusively by men – but not anymore. As Warwick Women’s Rugby president Sarah Batty explains, you could be part of a club that is growing fast…

Try something new

rug

Image: Facebook/Tim Nunan

Most girls haven’t thought about playing rugby before starting university, so it’s a great time to try a new sport. The majority of the team had never picked up a rugby ball before joining the club, so don’t let your lack of experience hold you back!

Get fit

Playing rugby requires a high fitness level: you could be playing up to 80 minutes of rugby on game day. We hold training sessions twice a week, one focused on skills, the other focused on fitness. It’s brilliant stress relief!

Have fun

If you looking to have fun, don’t mind getting muddy, and want to have an epic time with a great group of girls then you should join rugby! Socials are held every week and we have an annual tour, so it’s not all hard work!

This girl CAN

Rugby isn’t just for men. Anyone, of any shape or size, can take part: rugby encompasses everyone. So come and get involved and show everyone that #WarwickGirlsCan.

by

Image: University of Warwick Women’s Rugby Club

Make friends

The best part about playing rugby is the friends you make. We’re a diverse team and much smaller than a lot of sports clubs on campus, so you get to know your team-mates a lot better, and make life-long friends along the way!

Website: http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/universityofwarwickwomensrfc

• Hi! I’ve only just seen your comment and would say if you’re interested absolutely give a taster session a try. I went to one last year as a third year having never played rugby and haven’t looked back! The girls are great at being inclusive and catering to all abilities 🙂

• I am interested in joining rugby team, just that I’ve never played it before. But I have played volleyball and done athletics in the past.