Image: Wikimedia Commons/Teecefamily

Going for gold: five Paralympians ready to rule in Rio

The Rio Olympics introduced the world to a stellar cast of new champions: 400m record breaker Wayde van Niekerk, swimming sensation Adam Peaty and sprint star Elaine Thompson, to name a few. But for every first time gold medallist there was a Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt or Laura Trott – athletes that had been there and done it, before repeating their achievements in Rio. As the world’s greatest Paralympians kick off the competitive action today, many are aiming to add to their already extensive medal collections. We picked five of the best.

5. Ellie Simmonds (Great Britain – Swimming)

She’s the same age as most of this summer’s university graduates but Ellie Simmonds is already competing in her third Paralympic Games. The 21 year old wowed the nation as she claimed two gold medals in Beijing at the age of just 13. Four years later, she doubled her overall tally in home water by taking two more golds and is expected to do the same this time around. Simmonds competes in five events and it will be no surprise to see her on the top step of the podium once again.

4. Ihar Boki (Belarus – Swimming)

Belarus isn’t exactly famed for producing talent in the pool but Ihar Boki is certainly an exception. As an 18 year old competing in his first games in London, Boki won not one, two, three or even four golds – he came away with all five. The man from Minsk is hotly tipped to continue his dominance of distances ranging from the 100m backstroke to the 400m freestyle, especially after obliterating his opponents to win six golds at the IPC World Championships in Glasgow in 2015.

3. David Weir (Great Britain – Wheelchair Racing)

Along with Simmonds, David Weir is arguably Team GB’s most famous Paralympian and is also entered in five events in Rio. The London-born athlete had to wait until Beijing – his third games – to grab gold for the first time, but won another just days later. Four years on, Weir defended his T54 800m and 1500m titles and triumphed in the 5000m and the marathon, taking his overall tally to six golds. Add in six London Marathon victories and Weir is clearly a born winner.

2. Daniel Dias (Brazil – Swimming)

Brazil’s Daniel Dias is the third swimmer featured in our top five, but his achievements are simply impossible to ignore. His glittering CV includes 10 Paralympic golds accumulated over the previous two games, along with a perfect seven chalked up during last year’s world championships – bettering even the aforementioned Boki. The 28 year old is competing in familiar waters and will be roared on by the ever passionate home crowd. Expect him to take his tally of golds into the teens.

1. Dame Sarah Storey (Great Britain – Cycling)

The numbers are mind-boggling: 22 medals, 11 golds, seven Paralympics, four titles in London, two sports. Yet by the time you read this, two of those statistics could be incorrect: Storey competes tonight in the C5 3,000m individual pursuit final after breaking her own world record in qualifying this afternoon. Her achievements are beyond comprehension, but consider this: she won her first five golds as a swimmer, before switching to cycling in 2005. The British record for Paralympic golds is 16, set by swimmer Mike Kenny – can Storey match that in Rio?