terrorism
Photo: Phil Long / Flickr

Two arrested in Coventry on suspicion Syria terrorism

Two men who were arrested on suspicion of Syria terrorism offences have now been released on bail.

Police arrested two men from separate addresses in Coventry on the morning of 3 August. They were bailed later that day, with conditions pending further enquiries.

The 38 year-old and the 40 year-old men were arrested by officers from the West Midlands Terrorism Unit as part of an on-going, pre-planned and intelligence led investigation.

The men were subsequently detained under section 15 of the Terrorism Act 2000, which prohibits the funding of terrorist groups.

Police were continuing with searches at the addresses throughout the day. The specific addresses are being withheld for security reasons, say police.

I think there is rightly an increased awareness of the terrorism threat.

Petra Tang, Law student

Although some may find the swift release worrying, the men were being dealt with under PACE legislation, which means that officers had 24 hours to question them, before charging or releasing them, or applying for a warrant of further detention.

A West Midlands Police spokesman has assured residents that “there was no immediate threat to public safety”.
With Coventry with being the home of several Warwick students, and it being so close to campus, this has caused concern amongst some students, as well as local residents.

Petra Tang, a final-year European Law student said: “I think there is rightly an increased awareness of the terrorism threat”

Final-year student Tom Chapman added: “it’s a worrying local reminder that there is a home-grown terrorist threat.”

Police said that their investigations are ongoing.