Image: Flickr/Robbie Dale

The Rio 2016 weekend preview

GB set for gold rush on the water

Friday, from 13:30, BBC

Richard Gillin

Will Glover and Stanning be golden girls once again? Image: Wikimedia Commons/Richard Gillin

British hopes are always high heading into the Olympic regatta and Friday’s events could show us why. Katherine Grainger and Vicky Thornley’s silver in the double sculls is Team GB’s sole rowing medal so far in Rio, but that could change drastically this afternoon. The men’s four comfortably won their semi-final but will face strong competition from Australia, South Africa and Italy, all of whom posted faster times in the other semi. Britain has a rich history in this event, however, and anything below the top step of the podium will make for a very disappointed crew. Another set of rowers who will only be satisfied with gold is Heather Stanning and Helen Glover in the women’s pair. Glover and Stanning have been the dominant force in this discipline over the past four years but received a kick up the backside when they were almost beaten by the Danish pair in their heat. An assured semi-final victory followed and once again the two rowers look on course to retain the gold they gained in London.

Super Saturday: the sequel?

Sunday, from 00:50, BBC

It is tough to choose one standout moment from London 2012, but in terms of British achievement there is only one winner. 4 August, otherwise known as ‘Super Saturday’, saw Team GB win three gold medals within an hour and the athletes who created those indelible memories are back for more in Rio. They may not beat their time of 46 minutes set in London, but if Greg Rutherford, Mo Farah and Jessica Ennis-Hill can all retain their titles it would arguably be an even more impressive feat than four years ago. All three are favourites: since 2012 Rutherford has added the European and World titles to his Olympic gold, Farah has triumphed in the 10,000m at the two most recent world championships but will be targeted by his Kenyan rivals, while Ennis-Hill came back from giving birth and an injury to win gold at the worlds 12 months ago. All three events will conclude in the early hours of Sunday morning – whatever the outcome, it’ll be worth staying up for.

Sprint stars take to the track

Saturday, 16:00, BBC

Sunday, 02:35, BBC

The track and field events start today and this means that Usain Bolt isn’t too far away. The fastest man of all time and biggest name at the games begins his quest for the ‘triple-triple’ in the 100m heats on Saturday afternoon. But the world will have to wait until early Monday morning to see if Bolt can retain his crown; Saturday night belongs to the women. Jamaican sprint goddess Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce is aiming to win her third consecutive Olympic gold – but her task is far from simple. Fraser-Pryce has struggled with injury in the run-up to Rio, while the Netherlands’ Dafne Schippers and another Jamaican, Elaine Thompson, will also believe they can triumph. Blink and you’ll miss it and one thing’s for sure: the 100m is always unmissable.

All eyes on the Americans as swimming starts its final length

Saturday and Sunday, 02:00, BBC

Fernando Frazão Agência Brasil

A sight we’ve become very used to. Image: Wikimedia Commons/Fernando Frazão/Agência Brasil

It has been a week of compelling storylines in the pool: Syrian refugee Yusra Mardini winning her 100m Butterfly heat, Michael Phelps showing us that he is still superhuman, Katie Ledecky continuing where she left off in London, and Adam Peaty dominating the 100m Breaststroke, breaking two world records along the way. Sadly for swimming fans, it’ll be all over on Sunday morning. Ledecky and Phelps are aiming to add another individual gold each on Saturday morning; the former is odds-on to win her favoured 800m Freestyle and the latter is up against Chad Le Clos, son of everyone’s favourite South African, Bert, in the 100m Butterfly. Britain’s Jazz Carlin will be hoping to gain her second medal of the games too, but with Ledecky as a rival it’s unlikely to be gold. The men’s Medley relay brings the curtain down on swimming at Rio 2016 – Team USA have never lost this event and an American victory would provide a fitting ending to yet another flawless showing in the pool.