Image: Facebook/Warwick University Rugby League Club

Why you should join Rugby League

Rugby League isn’t always given the same coverage as union, but UWRL’s Oliver Clark explains that there are plenty of reasons to join the club this October – both on and off the pitch…

Try something new

League is a hard-hitting and faster version of rugby union, with collapsing scrums and wonky line-outs taken out of the equation. Whether you’ve played union throughout your life or you’re a rugby virgin, Rugby League is great fun and perfect for building fitness and teamwork.

Coaching

The club is coached by Troy Perkins, an ex-professional who played in the National Rugby League (NRL). As well as his Aussie banter Troy brings a wealth of experience – he also coaches local League 1 side Hemel Stags – and a desire to help every player reach their potential.

untitledh

Image: Warwick University Rugby League Club

Professional and Competitive

The club trains twice a week, working on fitness, tactics and every element of the League game. Alongside this we will be carrying out a four-day preseason, followed by weekly strength and conditioning sessions to ensure that we secure promotion this season. Our development squad also provides every club member with game-time.

Socials

While we work hard on the pitch our social execs also organise some of the best socials on campus, including weekly circles at the eclectic Murphy’s Bar, club meals and a charity Movember social.

Old Boys

WURL pride ourselves on our close connection with club members who have graduated. We organise an annual Old Boys match which is one of the highlights of the year and is followed by the best night out you will have at University. Other events we take part in are charity 9’s tournaments, a 5-a-side league and the annual Varsity against Coventry.

untitled

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WarwickUniRL/?fref=ts