Photo: Flickr/Kaje

Future of Coventry Nightclub Under Threat

The So Club Room in Coventry City Centre risks losing its licence after police have filed a report against the nightclub.

In the report, police highlighted a number of cases of violence which have occurred within the club and the area around it; Hertford Place.

The most recent of these events took place on 29 May this year. A 25-year-old man was attacked with a broom handle outside the club and as a result his skull was fractured. The club’s door staff reportedly walked away from the unconscious man without giving him first aid.

About 20 people were involved in what became a mass brawl outside the club and ended up with the police being called to the scene at 6AM. The police report states that the man suffered “life-changing injuries”.

The report outlines several other violent incidents; disorder which broke out during a private event in August 2015; cocaine being found on the premises during a police inspection; a reported case of a 17-year-old boy carrying out an assault subsequent to drinking inside the nightclub and one customer was found with “heroin and crack cocaine” hidden inside a toy egg after he had been kicked out of the venue.

Coventry Council’s licensing team will carry out the review of So Club Room and the hearing date has recently been pushed back. It will now take place on Thursday August 25 so the interested parties may prepare themselves adequately.

A spokesperson for the club has contradicted those statements made in the police report and has expressed their refusal to yield to the polices’ attempt to strip away their licence.

The police have said that if the club is not shut down they want certain compulsory conditions to be implemented. These include a dispersal policy, a minimum of two bodycams being worn by the door staff and photographs must be taken of every person who enters the venue.

• magnificent publish, very informative. I’m wondering why the other specialists of this sector
    don’t notice this. You must continue your writing. I am sure, you have a great readers’ base
    already!