Photo: michael davis-burchat / Flickr

Coventry to resettle highest number of Syrian refugees in UK

In a report on the ‘Migration Crisis’ by the Home Affairs Committee published Wednesday, Coventry was named the local authority where the highest number of refugees are to be resettled under a scheme to relocate Syrian refugees and their dependants in the UK.

The refugee crisis saw a sharp increase in severity in 2015, when the number of first time applications for asylum in EU member states (1,255,640) was double the 2014 figure (562,680). Over half were from the ongoing war-torn countries of Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq.

Through the Syrian Vulnerable Person Resettlement Scheme, the government intends to resettle up to 20,000 Syrians in need of protection.

The scheme is a voluntary and national programme, and the government is working closely with local authorities to aid funding.

According to figures published for the first time in the report, 105 Syrian refugees are to be resettled under the scheme in Coventry.

Nottingham, in the East-Midlands, will resettle the second-highest number of Syrian refugees, having agreed to 81. A large number of local authorities have not agreed to resettle any vulnerable Syrians.

We will always try and do what we believe is right, and we believe it is right to help others who have been forced to flee their homeland, suffering terrible hardship along the way.

Cllr Abdul Khan, Deputy Leader of Coventry City Council

The report, alongside a call for ministers to encourage ‘their own local authorities to take their fair share of refugees’ by the committee’s chair, also addressed the need for improved maritime security through Royal Navy support, and the urgent need to find a long-term solution to the inexcusable conditions in refugee camps.

The press release accompanying the report described how ‘many local authorities are not pulling their weight in resettling Syrian refugees and there is scant evidence that the Government is on track to meet its commitment to resettle 20, 000 Syrians by 2020.’

It is therefore encouraging that Coventry has been the area most open to backing the resettlement scheme.

Cllr Abdul Khan, Deputy Leader of Coventry City Council, commented: “Coventry is a proud multicultural city, with a long tradition of welcoming people from all parts of the world.

“We will always try and do what we believe is right, and we believe it is right to help others who have been forced to flee their homeland, suffering terrible hardship along the way.

“Many of those who need help are women and children and we work with some very dedicated voluntary sector and faith organisations across the city to make sure they get the best care possible.”

He added that he hoped other cities will join Coventry in accepting Syrian refugees.

The University of Warwick have been approached for comment on their role in the resettlement and integration of these refugees and this story will be updated with its reply.