Photo: Flickr/ Tejvan Pettinger

Construction of new Kenilworth station has begun

After numerous years of campaigning and proposals, the Kenilworth station that received government support in December 2013 is being built.

The Priory road construction, which will cost £11.3 million, will be built on the site of the previous station, which opened in 1844, but was closed as part of the Beeching cuts in 1965.

A service between Leamington Spa and Coventry will be provided, through the laying of a new track through the town, which is also hoped to boost Kenilworth’s value as a tourist destination.

The proposed designs for the station building includes access to a ticket office and external ticket vending machine, as well as a café, public wifi access and cycle storage.

The specification, developed by London Midland and Warwickshire County Council, details a footbridge which permits accessibility from both sides of the track, and certain ‘heritage’ design aspects from the original 1844 station building.

Two original stained glass windows and a Kenilworth rail station sign comprise the ‘heritage’ design aspects expected to be included.

A spokesperson for Warwickshire Country Council, Philip Johnson, has expressed that the rail station “will greatly benefit the people and businesses of the town’ and “improve the local economy.”

I think that a train station will certainly make Kenilworth more accessible, to visitors and residents, as well as potential students.

Elizabeth Whalen, first-year English Literature

Alongside Leamington Spa and Coventry, Kenilworth is popular for students living off-campus studying at Warwick University.

The news of the opening of the train station will be encouraging for students looking for an alternative to bus journeys, and will hopefully also provide access to other stations around the country more easily.

Elizabeth Whalen, first-year English Literature student, commented: “I think that a train station will certainly make Kenilworth more accessible, to visitors and residents, as well as potential students.

“However, in regards to student benefit, considering that few students opt to live there, it may well turn out to be a pointless venture-time will tell.”

• Why is there a photo of Menston station in West Yorkshire when this is about Kenilworth in Warwickshire over a hundred miles to the south?