Warwick launches scholarships worth £500,000 for Postgraduate degrees

Warwick has launched scholarships worth £500,000 in total for under-represented Postgraduate students starting their course in the upcoming academic year.

The Warwick Taught Masters Scholarships Scheme 2016/17 invites under-represented students to apply for these scholarships.

The scholarships consist of 100 individual student awards of £5000 for both eligible Home and EU students.

The support is being launched in order to widen participation in Postgraduate study, and the awards will be paid as contribution to the individual’s tuition fees.

This will particularly benefit under-represented student-groups who will be taught by Postgraduates when they begin their Masters next year.

The scheme allows next year’s entrants to get extra tuition funding alongside the possibility of a Postgraduate loan.

Applications for this year are now closed with this year’s applicants being notified by mid-August if their application has been successful.

Applicants must be entering a full-time Masters course, or a part-time Masters course lasting a maximum of two years, starting in October 2016.

The applications will be valued using a point system. In order to be eligible applicants must have started their first undergraduate degree in 2012/13 or 2013/14, and graduated from them in either 2015 or 2016.

They also must have had undergraduate tuition fees of between £6,000 and £9,000 per year, and not hold a Masters or PhD qualification already.

In order to encourage lesser represented students to apply, applicants must also have either had been in receipt of maintenance grant support, a special support grant, or a Disabled Students Allowance during their undergraduate course.

The University will also be awarding additional points to those who can demonstrate that they were aged 21+ on the first day of their undergraduate course, entered their undergraduate course from a care background, or studied their undergraduate course at the University of Warwick, amongst other criteria.