Warwick graduate to manufacture robotics interface for local schools

A recent Warwick graduate, Stephen Pithouse is in the process of finishing the designing and manufacturing of a new robotics interface.

Earlier this week, Stephen graduated with a first class degree in Engineering and is going on to take up a job with Industrial Automation company FANUC.

The interface that he is designing and manufacturing is intended to be used in schools that are in the local area.

The purpose is to encourage young people to take degrees and enter careers in both computing and robotics.

Stephen has been an active member of Warwick Volunteers during his time at Warwick. He has helped out at various local schools, with the aim of introducing young people to the prospect of a career in robotics.

He was not intending to go to University initially, until his school was visited by a team of volunteers from Warwick.

The team was led by Margaret Low, a Principal Teaching Fellow in Warwick Manufacturing Group and aimed to introduce pupils to both computer programming and electronics.

Margaret Low commented that Stephen wanted “ to design and build his own robots and has now won awards and competitions and inspired many young people to study robotics.”

Stephen commented saying “volunteering gave me great pride and sense of achievement, knowing that we were introducing children to a new topic, and could indeed ignite that spark inside them, inspiring them to aim high and break from what may be considered the norm.”