The Sabbatical Team. Image: Warwick SU

SU officers nominated for NUS award

This year’s Sabbatical Team have recently been shortlisted for ‘Officer Team of the Year’ at this year’s NUS awards.

The award category looks at how effectively the team has represented the views of Students’ Union (SU) members.

It also bears in mind how the team has worked together to benefit both the student population or the wider community, and as a result what changes have been made, as well as how the officer team can demonstrate collaboration on this work.

Commenting on being shortlisted, SU President Isaac Leigh said: “It’s a great end to the year to be shortlisted for this award – the officers have worked really hard this year so it is brilliant to see them get the credit they deserve.

“We are also really grateful for the staff support we’ve received throughout the year. Regardless of whether or not we win, it will be a great evening!”

We are also really grateful for the staff support we’ve received throughout the year. Regardless of whether or not we win, it will be a great evening!

Isaac Leigh, SU President

Warwick students, however, had a mixed response to the nomination.

Jamie Lee Jenkins, first-year History student, commented: “I can’t say that I have felt particularly represented.” She added: “I don’t really know what the Sabbs have done this year.”

Meanwhile, Alex Shaw, Politics finalist believes that the team have been “incredibly disappointing” due to the “focusing [of] their campaigns this year to politicising the SU and fighting the government, instead of truly improving students’ lives on campus.”

However, Darren Limantara, a first-year Economics student, stated: “The Sabbatical Officers have given Warwick students a genuine voice on what the SU does.”

• Sorry. Is this the NUS all-white, all-men officer team of the year award? Congrats!