Image: The Threepenny Opera/Facebook

Preview: Opera Warwick presents The Threepenny Opera

Opera Warwick’s brave choice of Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill’s The Threepenny Opera, in collaboration with Codpiece, creates a production that makes the audience “question the treatment of society’s poorest and most desperate” (according to the flyers), with some stand-out musical performances.

The story begins with an introduction to Jonathan Peachum’s business, which controls the beggars of London, sharing in their profit and giving them suitably pitiable costumes in order to appeal to the purses of the masses. Peachum’s observations of how those who live comfortably see the poverty of others as almost obscene, and how they give less money each time they see the woeful sight of one of his beggars, raises uncomfortable truths about attitudes towards the poor, both then and now. There is then the revelation that Peachum’s daughter, Polly, has secretly gone to wed the notorious criminal Macheath, and the rest of the plot follows Peachum’s attempts to have Macheath arrested and ultimately hanged.

Peachum’s observations of how those who live comfortably see the poverty of others as almost obscene raises uncomfortable truths about attitudes towards the poor, both then and now.

Polly is played exceptionally well by Emily Taylor, who delivers several powerful solos, and convincingly depicts her character’s development from Macheath’s naïve new plaything to the respected ruler of his criminal empire after he is arrested. Josh Dixon is just as impressive, cutting a Machiavellian figure in the form of Macheath, or ‘Mack the Knife’, and Dixon and Taylor work in harmony as the couple at the core of the drama. The music is catchy, with elements of jazz, brought to life by a professional and practiced band, and all the singers are excellent; Julia Storm, playing Lucy, has a voice that is especially outstanding.

The historic and continuing success of The Threepenny Opera again suggests that the story has a timelessness to it.

The performance has some comedic moments, but at times the humour blunders slightly, not coming across as well as it should; however, I did see a preview, so this just could be personal, and not helped by the lack of an audience to share in laughter with. I also lacked the opportunity to see the set or costumes, which I’m sure will enhance the narrative. The historic and continuing success of The Threepenny Opera again suggests that the story has a timelessness to it, and I would urge you all to see the performance in order to make up your own minds about this.

Eccentric and eclectic, The Threepenny Opera is an original production with striking solos and captivating characters that will undoubtedly live up to its full potential in the dynamic studio space at Warwick Arts Centre.

The Threepenny Opera is showing at Warwick Arts Centre from 9 – 11 June 2016; buy your tickets now from here.