Image: Warwick Sport

So near and yet so far: UWMCC pipped to promotion

After beating Oxford 2s and Oxford Brookes 2s the previous week, the University of Warwick Men’s Cricket Club 1s had a potential promotion-decider against Nottingham 2s on 1 June. If UWMCC could emerge victorious and Nottingham avoid defeat to De Montfort 1s two days later, the Midlands 2A title would be heading to Warwickshire. Skipper Dan Goodyear was absent due to the much-loved metrics examination, leaving the team in the experienced hands of Jonny Gonszor. Gonszor lost the toss but was nonetheless satisfied as UWMCC were put into bat, with a deteriorating pitch and drier outfield in mind.

Young batted with maturity well beyond his fresher status.

The UWMCC batsmen made a solid start, with Aamish Saini looking at his picturesque best, but regular wickets scuppered any chance of posting a daunting first innings score. At 70-3 off 17, finalist Vivek Naker and UWMCC debutant Matt Young put on an excellent half-century partnership on a tricky batting wicket. Due to Naker’s ability to look good but get out in the 20s, UWMCC tweeted in jest that Viv was “on 24, make what you will”, and as soon as the tweet was posted, Naker was bowled. This prompted a stunning collapse as Jonny Hall, Henry Bexson and Rob Clayden were all dismissed without scoring. Despite this, Young batted with maturity well beyond his fresher status, carrying his bat for 43 and effectively hauling UWMCC to 151 all out in 47.1 overs.

While this may have seemed an alarmingly low score to those following at home, skipper Gonszor was relatively happy and had full confidence in the UWMCC bowling attack that had enjoyed great success the week before. The partnership of Clayden and James Harris mesmerised Nottingham’s openers early on but the batsmen dug in to reach 25-0 off 12 – a commendable start given their lack of fluency. Clayden finally made the breakthrough with an excellent yorker, leaving the visitors on 26-1. The next wicket was shrouded in controversy: Gonszor dropped an easy chance to dismiss the other opener off Clayden’s bowling, before taking a stunning catch off his own bowling just two balls later against the same batsman, leading to Clayden describing the skipper as “the worst bloke in the world”.

The hosts remained confident in their ability to keep the run rate down, create pressure, and take wickets.

Halfway through their innings Nottingham were 68-2 off 25, but the hosts remained confident in their ability to keep the run rate down, create pressure, and take wickets. Much like the week before this formula was successful, with Gonszor picking up another wicket almost immediately after the drinks break. The fourth wicket was especially crucial, with Henry Hayes and keeper Young combining to dismiss the Nottingham skipper, who was an excellent sweeper and dabber. As theĀ age-old saying goes, one brings two; the Nottingham no. 3 being dismissed an over later for 25, edging Charlie Yorke-Starkey to Hall at point.

With the score at 88-5, UWMCC well and truly put the squeeze on and effectively ended the game as a contest. Naker and Yorke-Starkey both took excellent catches off the bowling of Hayes, who finished with figures of 4-22. Harris returned to the attack to pick up two late wickets, including an excellent stumping from Young who was having a debut to remember. With Nottingham all out for 111, it was another clinical fielding and bowling performance from UWMCC.

An anxious two-day wait ensued before Nottingham faced De Montfort, with the latter needing to win to claim promotion at Warwick’s expense.

Agonisingly, this wasn’t quite enough. An anxious two-day wait ensued before Nottingham faced De Montfort, with the latter needing to win to claim promotion at Warwick’s expense. Although Nottingham posted a competitive 198, De Montfort surpassed the target with just three wickets in hand. UWMCC had been beaten to promotion on net run rate – the cricketing equivalent of goal difference.