Image: Harrias / Wikimedia commons

The future of English domestic Cricket

One year ago, Colin Graves was elected as Chairman of the English Cricket Board (ECB). So far, his tenure has seen magnificent on-field success for the England team in all three formats of the game, but his time at the top of English cricket has not been without controversy.

While the relationship between the ECB and Kevin Pietersen was wretched prior to Graves’ appointment, a plain and clear statement on Pietersen’s England career would have benefited both parties. Instead, Graves suggested that Pietersen could return to the international game if he joined a county and “scored a lot of runs [so] they can’t ignore him”. Pietersen was subsequently discarded by England. I interpret this as proof of Graves’ affection for the traditional county system and his desperation to revive its former glories of the 1990’s.

Just because the Blast came first doesn’t mean it shouldn’t change with the times.

Yet the financial situation of many counties is severely worrying, with many reliant on the ECB central budget. Under Graves, the budget for the international setup has increased wildly, but there has been no suggestion of funds being redirected to the county game. While I believe that Graves is too steeped in the tradition and ideology of county cricket, a rebrand, specifically of the Twenty20 tournament in England and Wales, is the short term answer.

The T20 Blast was the model followed by hugely successful competitions such as the IPL and Big Bash, yet the ECB has allowed this competition to stagnate due to weak branding, a lack of meaningful rivalry and terrible structuring of the tournament. Just because the Blast came first doesn’t mean it shouldn’t change with the times.

‘Franchise’ is the dangerous word that Graves holds with such disdain. While I agree that going down the IPL route of private ownership would not work for English cricket, ECB-owned city teams would have the potential to re-ignite public interest in the competition and increase its international market. Graves admits the Blast is mediocre compared to the aforementioned competitions but what is he doing about it? He has selected Friday to hold the majority of games, which I believe is short-sighted. For many clubs across the country, Friday evening is the day on which Colts (juniors) either train or play cricket. To put this in direct competition with the attraction of the Blast poses a risk to not only the resources clubs have at their disposal, but also the future of grassroots cricket.

Change needs to happen now if we want to maintain the county game in the long term.

Counties could quite easily associate themselves with city teams that would arise from a new competition. London derbies would spice up the apathetic rivalry between Surrey and Middlesex, with the creation of two London teams potentially polarising London allegiances to a greater extent.

I see the city model as the future of T20 cricket in this country, as it would only benefit the counties who would be re-allocated the money generated by the ECB-owned teams. Colin Graves is unlikely to follow any of my recommendations, but change needs to happen now if we want to maintain the county game in the long term.