Photo: Warwick Tap Society / Facebook

The first ever National Societies Awards

The first ever National Societies Awards (NSA) took place on Saturday 4 June at the University of West England (UWE).

150 societies, from 50 different universities, competed for 12 awards. The awards included ‘best community project’, ‘best student-led event’ and ‘best fundraising society’.

Warwick Tap were among the winners of the night, snatching up the award for ‘most improved society’. Their win was due in part to their commitment to improving membership for underrepresented students and to their charity work over the year.

Warwick Law Society also made it as runners up for the ‘best academic society’ award. This comes after an impressive year that has seen the society win ‘best overall law society’ at the Student Law Society Awards.

The National Societies Awards team are excited to work on implementing the first of an annual rewards ceremony for Societies in the UK

Gem Heywood, Vice President for Societies and Communication at UWE SU

The judging panel consisted of three individuals: Gem Heywood, Vice President for Societies and Communication at UWE SU; Richard Brooks Vice President Union Development for NUS; and Anna Smee, CEO of UK Youth.

The idea behind the NSA came after a motion at a NUS conference was passed last year to recognise the contribution of societies at universities nationally. Gem Haywood said: “Officers across the country have become frustrated in the lack of national reward and recognition for Societies.

“The National Societies Awards team are excited to work on implementing the first of an annual rewards ceremony for Societies in the UK.”

Regarding their win, Natalie Haslam, outgoing President of Warwick Tap stated: “I’m most proud of all the new events and projects that Tap have embarked on this year, whilst maintaining a welcoming and family atmosphere. I want to thank all the tap exec, all the tap members and I know next year’s tap exec will go on to do even better things!”

I’m most proud of all the new events and projects that Tap have embarked on this year, whilst maintaining a welcoming and family atmosphere

Natalie Haslam, outgoing President of Warwick Tap

Adding to this, the incoming President, Beth Hurst, said the Society intend to “build on the strong platform of everything we’ve achieved this year, to raise more money for charity … and continue the amazing work of the previous exec.”

Justin Farrance, incoming President of Warwick Law Society, told the Boar: “we were really chuffed to have made it that far as we’ve never entered an award specific to academic support before.

“It’s great that societies get an opportunity to acknowledge all the hard work of their exec’s … and the NSA is just one of the ways Warwick Law Society can be proud of all the hard work that’s gone into the past year.

“Our newly elected Exec have big plans for the coming year and can’t wait to welcome freshers from all degree subjects into our society.”