Image: Wikimedia Commons/Ludovic Péron

The Euro 2016 weekend preview: 30 June-3 July

Poland v Portugal

Thursday, 7.15pm, ITV 1

The winner of the weekend’s first quarter final is likely to be the weakest side in the last four. Poland needed penalties to overcome Switzerland in their last 16 tie but should have progressed within 90 minutes; until Xherdan Shaqiri’s acrobatic equaliser the Poles were good value for their 1-0 lead. The fact that Poland have reached this stage with star striker Robert Lewandowski well below his best serves as a source of encouragement – if the Bayern Munich man can hit form then they will be confident of securing a semi-final spot.

Portugal have stumbled through the tournament despite a relatively easy set of opponents. Failing to beat any of Iceland, Austria or Hungary would previously have sent Ronaldo et al home in disgrace, but thanks to the tournament’s expansion they were able to sneak through in third place. Beating dark-horses Croatia in their first knockout game was an indication that they can raise their level against teams that attack them, yet Portugal’s unwillingness to take the game to their opponents will almost certainly result in a tight, tense tussle tonight.

John Candy

Chris Coleman is on the verge of becoming Wales’ most successful manager ever. Image: Wikimedia Commons/John Candy

Wales v Belgium

Friday, 7.30pm, BBC 1

Judging by the comments coming from the Wales camp over the last few weeks, you could be forgiven for assuming that their primary goal for the tournament has already been achieved: doing better than England. The Welsh appear to be putting in good performances once every two games, which bodes well for their meeting with Belgium on Friday. An uninspiring showing against England was sandwiched by historic wins over Slovakia and Russia, with the latter followed by a 1-0 victory over Northern Ireland that lacked quality. If the class of 2016 are to become the first Wales team to reach the last four of a major tournament then they will need to put in their best performance yet.

Their opponents are aiming to make it third time lucky against Chris Coleman’s men after taking one point from two meetings during qualifying. This is a huge opportunity for Belgium’s golden generation to come good: the way the draw has panned out means that the Belgians are the strongest team left in their half. If they can maintain their form of the past three games then a place in the final beckons.

Germany v Italy

Saturday, 7.30pm, BBC 1

There’s no doubt about it: this is the standout quarter final tie at Euro 2016. Germany entered the tournament fighting a wave of friendly defeats and media criticism, but, as they always do, the Germans have turned it on at the right time. After safely negotiating an awkward group they turned on the style against Slovakia last Sunday – winning 3-0 despite missing a first-half penalty. The Germans’ tika-taka v2 versus the perfectly-drilled Italian defence will provide the biggest test so far for both teams.

Italy also began Euro 2016 facing swathes of criticism, but the critics have been well and truly silenced by four Antonio Conte tactical masterclasses. A lack of quality in attack means that Conte has emphasised suffocating opponents before hitting them on the counter-attack; three of their five goals have come in the final five minutes of matches, with Belgium, Sweden and Spain all overwhelmed one by one. These countries share eight world cups and four European championships between them – will this total have risen in ten days time?

France v Iceland

Sunday, 7.15pm, ITV 1

On paper, there’s only one winner. But there was only one winner when Iceland came up against both Portugal and England…and here they are. The smallest country to ever reach a major tournament caused one of the biggest shocks in international football history against the three lions, but that may actually have reduced their chances of victory against the hosts. Any potential French complacency will have vanished following Monday’s match, with the Icelandic plan of containment followed by counter-attack now familiar to football fans across the continent. The underdogs are already national heroes – any further progress and they will be naming volcanoes after them.

The hosts are looking for their first big performance at their own tournament. Four average opponents have each given the French cause for concern so far, but their three victories have shown that they possess players capable of turning a game. Dmitri Payet was the saviour against Romania, Antoine Griezmann against Ireland, while the two combined as France eventually saw off Albania. This match could see the other French stars join the party.