Photo: Nicolas Raymond / Flickr

Britain votes to leave the EU

In the European Union (EU) referendum, the UK has narrowly voted to leave the EU, with 52% voting to leave and 48% to remain.

In an historic vote, the UK has seen a higher voter turnout, at 72%, than any general election since 1983.
Surrounded by a sea of constituencies that voted leave, Warwick district voted to remain by 59% to 41%.

Coventry, by contrast, voted to leave by 56% to 44%, despite much of the University of Warwick being located within the constituency.

Students and young people were by far the most positive about the EU. A poll on the day of the EU referendum put 72% of 18-25 year olds in favour of remain, compared with just 34% of over 65s.

Some people just want to watch the world burn

Mike Beech, final-year Mathematics student

In the aftermath of the result, there are a lot of questions being asked and a lot of developments occurring.

From the pound plummeting in value to David Cameron resigning, this is only the beginning of what is expected to be a prolonged series of outcomes. This may even result in a general election later in the year.

Some students at University of Warwick were disappointed by the results.

Mike Beech, a final-year mathematics student, angrily quoted Batman, saying: “Some people just want to watch the world burn.”

Harvey Lewis, a second-year Law and Sociology student, commented: “Welcome to ‘Back to Basics Britain!’

“Where we made such an important fundamental choice and we ignored: facts, our friends, our neighbours and the hearts of some of the younger generation.”

However, not every student was disappointed. Lewis Hutchinson, a second-year student, urged: “It’s now time to pull together, heal division and build a liberal, tolerant and bright future for our country.”