Image: Kooroshication/ Flickr

Why be prude about nudes?

Once again, Kim Kardashian has made headlines and caused a major backlash. If you’ve been living under a rock and somehow missed all the controversy, essentially the chaos all started because Kimmy K flashed her nude body to the world over social media, with the caption: “I have nothing to wear”.

Now that the initial uproar has passed, and the ‘oh my God: boobs!’ hysteria has died down, I’ve had some time to come up with my opinion on the subject. And, after much deliberation, I have decided that society should not give a flying fart about Kim K’s nude pictures, and these are my reasons why.

I will not be singing her praises any time soon – how she decides to view her body is completely her choice.

First of all, if someone wants to display their nude self to the world, that is absolutely the choice of that person. The overwhelming wave of negativity relating to Kim’s photos centre around this societal idea that it is completely acceptable to ‘slut-shame’ a woman for expressing themselves and being proud of their bodies.

Regardless of what you think of Kim Kardashian as a person and – believe me, I will not be singing her praises any time soon – how she decides to view her body is completely her choice. Although I will not be whipping out my own twins on social media on the back of this, I respect that to do this was completely her decision. Although I may not want to do the same, it doesn’t mean I should criticise her choice either.

I hardly think that a woman exhibiting her naked body to the world is really more important than, oh I don’t know, junior doctor’s pay or the EU referendum

Secondly, Kim Kardashian’s nudes are not the biggest problem in the world today. It is saddening to think that a picture of someone naked can cause so much conversation when there are millions of other issues that should be at the forefront. I hardly think that a woman exhibiting her naked body to the world is really more important than, oh I don’t know, junior doctor’s pay or the EU referendum, for example.

If it had been established by society in the first place that the human body is not something to be ashamed of, then this whole controversy could have been bypassed for bigger and, quite frankly, more important news.

Finally, and most significantly, Kim Kardashian doesn’t deserve this much airtime. Personally, I do not understand why people even care about what goes on in this woman’s life. A shameless attention sponge, Kim Kardashian will do absolutely anything for the limelight.

Kim Kardashian has, in my opinion, done nothing that deems her worthy of any significant interest

So why did Kim post these nude photos, do you think? With my idealistic hat on, I would like to think that these nudes were an expression of feminist victory and self-confidence. However, much like everything Kim Kardashian has ever done in her life, it was most probably a publicity stunt designed to generate controversy and put the spotlight on her once again.

She has hardly promoted women’s rights previously, so I am skeptical to believe that these were her motives in this instance. Kim Kardashian has, in my opinion, done nothing that deems her worthy of any significant interest, and she is certainly not worthy of the idolisation she receives.

So, on reflection, should we care about a mundane celebrity, with no obvious redeeming qualities, posting a picture that she has every right to post? I think not.

See the picture that caused all the fuss here.

• BREAKING: Student expresses annoyance at number of articles about naked Kardashian pictures in an article about naked Kardashian pictures.