Image: Facebook / Warwick For Free Education

Multiple protests in Leamington Spa

Leamington Spa has been a buzz of protests this week with two consecutive days of demonstration marches taking place.

On 30 April, Leamington residents were opposing Warwick and Leamington MP Chris White’s decision to vote against a new amendment which would mean the UK providing asylum for refugee children.

The amendment was made to the Immigration Bill to try and oblige the Government to offer refuge to 3000 unaccompanied child refugees coming from Europe. Overall, it was rejected: 294 MPs voted against it compared to 276 who voted in favour.

Leamington residents marched the streets bearing signs declaring “refugees welcome” and “love knows no borders”.

Charlie Hindhaugh, Education Officer and Deputy President of Warwick Students’ Union, took part in the protest in a personal capacity as a resident of Leamington. He described it as “disgraceful” to vote against accepting “some of the most vulnerable people affected by the refugee crisis.”

Charlie added: “I have contacted Chris by email on two separate occasions asking him to justify this decision, so it is disappointing that he still has not replied. I urge Chris White and other MPs to offer sanctuary to 3000 lone children should this amendment come to a vote in the Commons again – it is simply the right thing to do.”

I have contacted Chris by email on two separate occasions asking him to justify this decision, so it is disappointing that he still has not replied

Charlie Hindhaugh, Education Officer

The following day saw Leamington Parade host another protest in support of junior doctors and to demonstrate against NHS cuts and privatization.

Junior doctors are currently striking against the proposed changes to their contracts. These changes include a basic pay increase, but cutbacks in other aspects of their pay package.

Jamie Sims, a 4th-year PPE student and representative of Warwick for Free Education, attended the NHS protest and estimates that 200 people took part. He described seeing so many people protesting against the privatisation of the NHS as “very encouraging”.

More mobilisations like this, and escalation to more militant tactics, will be needed to defend the NHS

Jamie Sims, PPE student

“I think it shows the depth of public anger at the government, and support for the NHS, that these kind of numbers can be mobilised in somewhere like Leamington which rarely sees large protests.

“More mobilisations like this, and escalation to more militant tactics, will be needed to defend the NHS from the Tory government and private healthcare profiteers who are carving it up for short-term gain.’