editors
Image: Kevin Spencer/ Flickr

Editor’s Letter: For future reference

The Boar hasn’t been my home for very long, however, I have already been confronted with the harsh reality of the Comment section. As the new editor I have so far been told on numerous occasions that as a section we are merely catalytic and that we serve no real purpose.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. If yours is that you dislike the Comment section of the Boar, then firstly, I congratulate you for reading this, and secondly that is up to you. I do not intend to dissuade you from your dislike; rather I just want to clear up what the purpose of Comment is.

In short, we post opinions. My general rule of thumb is that if it’s not racist, homophobic, sexist or just down right hateful, then it gets published. We are simply a platform that any student, no matter their beliefs or background, can use in order to discuss what they care about.

My general rule of thumb is that if it’s not racist, homophobic, sexist or just down right hateful, then it gets published.

Just because an article is published, it doesn’t automatically mean that the entirety of the Boar exec agree with its message. Some do and some don’t, so don’t assume that the words of one speak for the thoughts of all.  I have certainly already published articles which don’t align with my own opinions. However, to refuse to publish these would simply be censorship. And this campus hates its censorship.

The nature of opinions is such that someone else’s may well be different to yours and, I’m sorry to say, they’re actually allowed to have it if it can be logically justified. It may make you angry, it may rile you or make you feel a bit offended, but we represent the voice of every student, regardless of whether they are the ones who shout the loudest. Plus, if you don’t agree, we have this nifty section called “Reader’s Response”.

Plus, if you don’t agree, we have this nifty section called “Reader’s Response”.

Another clarification which needs to be made is that exec members can write for Comment. Fundamentally, the Boar editorial and business team are students. Just like any other student, they are entitled to use this platform. Just like any other student, they are allowed to pass comment and critique; both of which are undeniably intrinsic to change and therefore improvement.

So in short, you may feel upset, but unfortunately you can’t really brand this section as anything other than an unbiased platform. The only ‘pathetic’ thing about us is the excessive amount of Twitter hashtags that I used. I’m not sorry.