Image: Northern Ireland Office/ Flickr

The Queen turns 90: “Admit it, the Queen is alright”

Today the Queen turned 90. Pictures of the Queen and her ever-photogenic family are being spouted from each and every media source, and articles on her innumerable accomplishments are filtering through our news feeds.

Among these editorials of admiration and celebration of our longest-reigning monarch are some comments and remarks of a more negative tone. It is evident that there are many young people who are disillusioned with the Queen and what she stands for in 21st century England.

It has become somewhat ‘un-cool’ to be a royalist to our generation; the royal family are considered by many to be an indulgent pastime that our parents and grandparents can enjoy; a remnant of a simpler time.

It is evident that there are many young people who are disillusioned with the Queen

This is understandable in an age rife with austerity measures and the rightful expectation for democracy across all boards of national representation. Millions in taxpayers’ money is being annually dished out to a figure whose position is due to her genealogy, who was not voted in, and who wields no political power. This can seem like a dated, chauvinistic and pointless undertaking in today’s world.

However, before we start raising red flags and demanding an end to the British monarchy, we should take some time to re-consider what we would be losing if we did actually displace the Queen and what this would mean for England as a whole.

We should take some time to re-consider what we would be losing if we did actually displace the Queen

There is the common argument that royals bring in tourism, but this point transcends money. The reason that the monarchy has existed until today is due to the role that it plays in terms of promoting good works in the UK and overseas, and maintaining diplomacy between England and the rest of the world.

England is, on the surface, a small country. However, we still swing a hefty global punch and we cannot ignore the fact that the Queen has played a significant role in this. She is, after all, the most famous woman in the world, and when she visits the head of state of another country, it becomes a spectacle.

When she visits the head of state of another country, it becomes a spectacle

She stirs a level of international interest that an English politician would struggle to achieve. The work and glamour of our royal family is enjoyed worldwide. She is thus upholding the image of England abroad and keeping us relevant on the global playing field.

Furthermore, it benefits to have a head of state who is never allowed to air an opinion. Nothing divides people more than politics and no one receives more public abuse than a politician who has gone against the wishes of his people. Having the Queen as the head of state acts as a source of catharsis to the population.

She is thus upholding the image of England abroad and keeping us relevant on the global playing field

When the antics of Parliament become too frustrating to bear, we can always indulge in the pomp, ceremony and the patriotism that the monarchy provides. This may seem like a sort of opium, but it is better that than to be continuously wallowing in the pitfalls of our government.

As an apolitical woman with an apparently infinite amount of positivity, she personifies British patriotism and diligence; she is consistently there to look up to and unite people, while our government divides them.

She personifies British patriotism and diligence

Despite the drawbacks and drama that comes with our Royal Family, it must be said that the person who has spent their entire life working to promote good works and the good name of England is surely worthy of being held as a role model – we would be worse off without her.

• Matt Williams

The Queen’s inheritance of the Government is purely symbolic and a nod towards our parliamentary-monarchy heritage. She has no more political power over the people than you or I. I fail to see where tyranny is occurring.

• Thomas Paine

All hereditry government is in its nature tyranny … To inherit a government is to inherit the people, as if they were flocks and herds (no matter how ‘alright’ she may seem).

• Thomas Paine

All hereditary government is in its nature tyranny … To inherit a government is to inherit the people, as if they were flocks and herds (no matter how nice she seems).