Image: Wikipedia/Pommes104

Against the odds: Five underdogs who shook the sporting world

With Leicester City top of the Premier League and Danny Willett winning the Masters, 2016 is rapidly becoming the year of the underdog. Both stories are a Hollywood script-writer’s dream – the plucky outsider overcoming their illustrious competition, the compelling back-story, the tension as they hone in on their prize. Sport has gripped us with plenty of similar narratives down the years; here are five of the very best.

5. Fernando Alonso – 2012

Though this underdog story didn’t have the perfect ending, it is worthy of a place in our list because of Alonso’s sheer consistency throughout the 2012 Formula One season. The Spaniard was driving the third-fastest car but still managed to lead the championship for much of the season. Even when Sebastian Vettel overtook him with just a few races left, a string of podium finishes kept Alonso in the hunt. To the dismay of many fans, a battling second place at the final race in Brazil was not quite enough – Vettel won the title by three points.

4. Liverpool v AC Milan – Champions League Final 2005

Milan had Paolo Maldini, Kaka and Andrea Pirlo; Liverpool had Steve Finnan, Djimi Traore and Jerzey Dudek. When the English side went in at half-time 3-0 down, their chances of winning had gone from improbable to impossible. But goals from Steven Gerrard, Vladimir Smicer and Xabi Alonso hauled Liverpool back to 3-3 and after some penalty shoot-out heroics from Dudek, the Reds emerged winners. It’s not called the ‘Miracle of Istanbul’ for nothing.

3. Roberta Vinci v Serena Williams – US Open 2015

Like Alonso, Vinci’s story didn’t ultimately end in triumph. But when the then 32-year-old Italian met world number one Serena Williams in the semi finals of the US Open last year, the tennis world thought her story would end right there. Vinci was playing in her first grand slam semi, while Williams was on course to win all four majors in the same year – the ‘Serena Slam’. When the American took the first set with ease, everything seemed to be going to plan. Yet out of nowhere Vinci took the next two sets 6-4, 6-4, to record one of the greatest shocks in tennis history. She may have lost the final to fellow Italian Flavia Pennetta, but this match ensured Vinci will be remembered forever.

2. Greece – Euro 2004

Ahead of Euro 2004, Greece was the last country you would have tipped to win. An opening day meeting with hosts Portugal was just about the toughest start they could have been given – or so it seemed. The underdogs spoilt the party as they won 2-1 and never looked back. Knockout stage wins over France and the highly-fancied Czech Republic set up a second meeting with the hosts in the final. Angelos Charisteas (who?) headed the only goal to complete the unlikeliest triumph in the tournament’s history.

1. Japan v South Africa – Rugby World Cup 2015

Japan v South Africa was to rugby what Vinci v Williams was to tennis, but even bigger. The Springboks had won two world cups since the last time Japan had won a game on rugby’s biggest stage, but the underdogs stunned their opponents in an attacking and hugely entertaining display. Japan stayed in touch throughout the match, before a late South Africa penalty appeared to end their hopes of a momentous victory. Yet, with seconds remaining, Karne Hesketh dived over the line to seal a 34-32 win. Now THAT’S a Hollywood ending.