Image: Andrés Nieto Porras/ Flickr

How to deal with dirty flatmates

Whether you’re living in university halls or off-campus in Coventry, Canley, or Leamington Spa, you have probably met the worst kind of flatmates: the dirty ones. They leave the dishes in the sink, they do not know how to flush properly or they simply have never heard of bathroom cleaning products. Let’s face it – living with them is annoying. 

I am far from obsessive when it comes to housework; however, my parents have always taught me how to clean a fridge, how to remove hair from the shower, and the importance of doing the dishes. I am thankful that I have acquired those values because cleaning is all about respect.

Let me reassure you: dirty people are not all the same. There are two kinds of dirty flatmates.

Today, I am experiencing what it is like to live with dirty roommates. And let me tell you, it is not fun: you can tell them a million times how dirty everything is, but it’s unlikely they will do anything about it. Cleaning schedules are pointless. They basically live their own life as if they’re the only ones in the house. 

Let me reassure you – dirty people are not all the same.  There are two kinds of dirty flatmates. The first one is the ‘lazy student’. They don’t really want to clean and therefore procrastinate, but they will – eventually – clean up if you make them understand that it is a necessity.

When considering who to live with next year, make sure you choose your flatmates properly and don’t forget: even your closest friends might turn out to be dirty pigs!  

The second kind, however, is the most problematic: the student that is used to being cleaned up after them and has resultantly never touched a sponge before coming to university. If your flatmate sounds like the latter, the following tips will help you. 

TIP NUMBER ONE: Communicate. Talk to your flatmates personally and show them what you mean by ‘cleaning up’. Dirty people are like children: they have to be told what to do. At the beginning of the year, write a roommate agreement (don’t push it like they did in The Big Bang Theory), and make people sign it: every time they don’t clean the bathroom, they have to pay a certain amount in a penalty jar. After losing some money, their habits might change.  

TIP NUMBER TWO: If Tip 1 does not work, take the offensive. Take a big plastic container and put all of their dirty dishes in it. My flatmates haven’t noticed it yet and the counter is clean. If you are in halls, be a snitch and talk to a resident tutor. If you’re living off-campus, cut the WiFi or change the password. As for the bathroom, I spray cleaning product on every surface without drying it. Unless they want to sit on wet toilets, their solution is to wipe it. Be strategic. 

TIP NUMBER THREE: Make them pay for a cleaner. If you can’t teach them, nobody will. Alternatively, you could be the cleaner and charge them, but it might be pretty time-consuming for you. 

TIP NUMBER FOUR: If the above tips do not work, it is too late for you. The only solution left is to move out. If you are already tired in Term 2, think about what your life during Term 3 will be like. With exams, presentations and stress, nobody will have time to clean up, and you will go crazy.

All in all, dirty flatmates are a nightmare. When considering who to live with next year, make sure you choose your flatmates properly and don’t forget: even your closest friends might turn out to be dirty pigs!