Image: Chiara Baldassarri/ Flickr

Dreadlocks debate: Cultural appropriation and “selective empathy”

Definition of cultural appropriation: “a dominant culture [taking] elements from a culture of people who have been systematically oppressed by that dominant group”.

Every black girl knows the struggle of sitting down for over six hours for your hair to be braided, locked, or cornrowed. This experience unites us all, as we remember the smell of coconut oil rubbing on our roots. We also are united by the fact we have been the victims of constant teasing, staring and pointing because our hair is different.

I despise talking about cultural appropriation, and try to avoid it in all scenarios. The discussion usually ends up in tears, or white people saying “I’m not racist”, and the whole thing tires me to be honest.

We have been the victims of constant teasing, staring and pointing because our hair is different

I’d rather watch an episode of Love and Hip Hop or Real Housewives of Atlanta than explain why appropriating cultures is offensive.  It is not my job to tell you what appropriation means, if you are that interested, the internet is readily available.

Recently a video went viral of a black female student in an altercation with a white male student over the fact that his hair was styled into dreadlocks. Now, I would first off all like to say how this issue could have been avoided if she did not touch him.

This issue could have been avoided if she did not touch him

It hurts as a black woman to watch this, as it is fulfilling every stereotype about us being loud and angry for ‘no good reason’. The male student, Cory Goldstein is right, dreadlocks have been used in various cultures in different periods. However, he failed to highlight how the term “dreadlocks” has become intrinsically linked with black culture.

For example, the Mau Mau warriors were ‘dreaded’ by colonisers as they fought for independence. In an act of solidarity, they grew their hair naturally which they hoped to invoke fear. Dreadlocks are also deeply embedded in Rastafari religion, which is not about smoking weed all the time. Locks represent a unity with the environment and are against the ways of the West.

However, he failed to highlight how the term “dreadlocks” has become intrinsically linked with black culture

As dreadlocks were mainly worn by black people, the term became intertwined with ‘filthiness’, hence why so many stereotypes have emerged from black people wearing dreads. I always feel awkward going into souvenir shops, as you certainly will find objects with a stoned black man wearing dreadlocks.

Goldstien states “My hair, my rules”, but does this rule not apply to black people? My hair is frequently touched or stared at but I have just been taught to deal with it.  As a black woman, I have been told throughout my life that In order for me to be viewed as ‘respectable’, I need my hair to be ‘tamed’.

My hair is frequently touched or stared at but I have just been taught to deal with it

Yet, since I have been at Warwick, I have had numerous instances in which my hair was deemed ‘controversial’. Last term, someone just started singing Bob Marley (really badly) and was pointing at my hair. Of course I did not laugh, and he seemed offended that I was offended.

This whole issue surpasses cultural appropriation, it is about selective empathy. For those who are annoyed by this whole ordeal, where were you when black people were getting fired from work, and worse for wearing dreadlocks?

This whole issue surpasses cultural appropriation, it is about selective empathy

Zendaya wore dreadlocks to the red carpet and all she got was grief. A comment stating that she “smells like weed”, or “patchouli oil”. Andrew Prindiville, the headteacher of St. Gregory’s Catholic Science College in London, sent a boy home for wearing cornrows. Vanessa Van Dyke was threatened to be expulsed from school if she did not cut her own natural afro hair!

There are so many instances where black people have been victimised and ridiculed because of hairstyles. Yet, there has not been the same outcry at this incident. Why do you think that is? And for those who argue that cultural appropriation goes against civil liberties, well let’s hope these civil liberties can be extended to minority groups.

• “All she got was grief”

As much as I agree with the thrust of this article, this just isn’t true. It was the journalist that made the comment that was (rightly) ridiculed, forced to apologise, and the general consensus was very much pro-Zendaya. You claim there was no outcry, but my recollection was that the vast majority of people disagreed with her bigoted comments.