Modern Myths: The Canongate Myth Series

Myths and the stories contained within them are ubiquitous in cultures around the world, and the eighteen novellas found in the Canongate Myth Series retell these ancient legends in an attempt to modernise them and make them relevant to contemporary life. All the stories, written by world-renowned authors such as Margaret Atwood and Philip Pullman, are stunning and compelling tales that explore the nature of the world and humanity.

The Penelopiad, by Margaret Atwood

Atwood creates a fascinating narrative that shows there is always another side to the story by taking the legendary Odyssey and twisting it, so that the abandoned figure of Penelope becomes the focal character of the story, in the place of her absent husband. Atwood’s Penelope rejects her representation in Homer’s tale, and looks at the double standards that she faces as a woman.

They are stunning and compelling tales that explore the nature of the world and humanity

Weight, by Jeanette Winterson

Weight is a stunning, gripping retelling of the Greek myth of Atlas. Winterson’s modern references and unexpected alterations – she makes Laika, the dog sent into space, a companion of Atlas – make it a truly enchanting tale. Heart-warming and heart-wrenching, Weight is my favourite of the collection due to its sheer emotional power, and truly unique storytelling.

Ragnarok, by A.S. Byatt

Ragnarok tells the tale of the Norse myth of the same name, the apocalypse that caused the death of the gods and the end of the world. Byatt makes this archaic tale startlingly relevant by interspersing it with the story of a young World War Two evacuee, making us consider the impermanence of life as we know it. Byatt also employs incredibly powerful language, creating a novel that is an immense joy to read.

The Canongate Myth Series has already been in progress for over a decade, and it is hoped…that it will ultimately contain over a hundred stories

The Fire Gospel, by Michael Faber

Subtly linked to the myth of Prometheus, Faber considers what the consequences may be if someone finds something as dangerous as fire (in this case, the newly discovered Fifth Gospel of the New Testament), and makes it available to the whole of society. Satirical and thrilling, Faber’s inventive ‘what-if’ novel is a truly riveting tale.

The Canongate Myth Series has already been in progress for over a decade, and it is hoped by its creator, Jamie Byng, that it will ultimately contain over a hundred stories; a hundred retellings of ancient myths that are each as original and intriguing as their sources, and which I would encourage you all to read in order to see how the universal experience of humanity is presented throughout these incredible works.

Image Credits: Stephen Spencer / Flickr (Header)