Image: Emma Johnson

Elections Coverage – Why should 2nd years vote?

[dropcap]F[/dropcap]or many Warwick students, this time of year is a time of suffering; every time we step outside of the library, we’re overcome by a swarm of poorly designed signs, put in place by over-eager campaigners, armed with a seemingly never-ending supply of leaflets, and a smile that just won’t fade, eternal in the face of rejection.

When you’re rushing to your lecture, already ten minutes late and hungover, or hoping to get that prime spot in the library, near both window and toilet, the last thing you need is your path blocked by the cheery faces of candidates’ friends, with nothing better to do than to occupy space. More deterred than encouraged, you shove a soggy piece of paper into your pocket, avoid conversation, and forget who even handed it to you.

Yes, this week is truly the stuff of nightmares. But regardless of how annoying these campaigners can be, how pathetic the cardboard is, or how late the crowds make you, these elections are important. Especially for us as second years.

Regardless of how annoying these campaigners can be, how pathetic the cardboard is, or how late the crowds make you, these elections are important.

These elections are, for many of us, our final opportunity to make an impact on our education and the issues that matter to us. Want a 24-hour library, so you can write your dissertation at a time that suits you? Want all lectures recorded, so if you’re ill for a week, you’re not doomed to a third? Want a reliable bus service, so you don’t run the risk of being late? If we don’t vote for candidates representing our views, we won’t see these changes made in a way that helps us.

Like we’re all desperate for Americans to vote for anyone other than Donald Trump, it’s up to us as individuals to make sure our SU team is made up of candidates who are serious about improving the university.

If we don’t vote for candidates representing our views, we won’t see these changes made in a way that helps us.

We have a unique perspective that enables us to know what the real issues are – we’ve been here for two years, know what needs changing, and there’s still time for us to reap the rewards of a good election.

These elections are our chance to get involved in our university, our opportunity to make changes that will improve our experiences and those of future students. It’s easy to let the lacklustre leaflets dampen your spirits and stop you from voting, but if you do, you’re missing out on the chance to make a difference, and, by refusing to participate, you lose your right to complain about the outcome.