Image: Emma Johnson

Elections Coverage – Why should 1st years vote?

[dropcap]B[/dropcap]eing a fresher at a University with a capacity of 23,570 students is a somewhat nerve-wracking process, but imagine standing for election in front of those 23,570 students. The brave SU candidates who have taken this on are standing for 1 of 7 sections within the sabbatical election.

The candidates have to build manifestos, consider all the paths of improvement and establish steps to help these take place. They are essentially doing all of the hard work that we, as very important and busy freshers, simply don’t have time for.

This means that our input is essentially the full stop to the debate, arguably the most important factor in a chain of events which lead to the ultimate conclusion. And being such a significant role in this whole fiasco probably means we should take it a little bit seriously.

Being such a significant role in this whole fiasco probably means we should take it a little bit seriously.

We shouldn’t just take it seriously out of principle though, in fact this election will have very real outcomes for us within the next couple of years. If you are part of a sports team you are already equipped with first-hand knowledge on some areas for improvement, if you are part of a society, you are aware of what is going wrong.

In fact living as a student on campus, particularly with the fresh perspective of a first year, is in itself a source of knowledge for improvements.

This election will have very real outcomes for us within the next couple of years.

If you want longer hours in the library or perhaps more silent areas then there’s no point in getting flustered as you try and cram in that last minute revision, instead vote now for a candidate with a policy suited to your desire. In this way as a single person in 23,570 students you will become a voice not a number.