Europe EU flag referendum
Image: Flickr / Håkan Dahlström

Warwick University set to officially back Britain staying in Europe

The University Senate, comprised of senior figures within the University, concluded in a recent meeting that the University should “strongly support” the UK’s continuing membership of the EU “on academic grounds”.

A member of the Warwick IN Group spoke to The Boar regarding offhand comments made by the new vice-chancellor Stuart Croft about his personal support for the IN campaign, after stating them publicly at the Big EU Student Debate.

Peter Dunn, director of press and policy for the University, has since confirmed that in a recent meeting of senior figures, held on Tuesday 8 March, the University has decided to state the case for retaining membership of the European Union.

Giving a statement on the recent Senate meeting a week ago, Dunn said: “In accordance with the views expressed at the meeting, the University should confirm its position as being strongly supportive on academic grounds of the UK’s continuing membership of the EU.”

Dunn went on to comment on the nature of the decision saying that it was a conclusion of the debate had at the most recent Senate meeting and the University’s position will not be officially confirmed until the next meeting of the Senate, 8 June.

In accordance with the views expressed at the meeting, the University should confirm its position as being strongly supportive on academic grounds of the UK’s continuing membership of the EU.

Peter Dunn, director of press and policy

Adam Sammour, second-year Politics student and lead figure in the Warwick IN For Europe group stated: “Warwick IN [is] overjoyed to hear of the Universities decision to publicly support the remain vote in the upcoming referendum.”

He continued: “It comes as no surprise to us here at Warwick IN Europe, after seeing the huge benefit our University gets from the EU. Roughly 15% of our funding comes directly from the EU commission, and we have a huge number of EU students and academics who are able to work and study here because of the EU.”

“Our campus diversity, our impeccable teaching standards, and a large amount of our physical resources are all secured by the UK’s EU membership. This is why we are delighted for the University to have supported the remain campaign, and we hope every student at Warwick will do so too.”

The University is acting as a recipient of funding from the EU so has a vested interest in staying in.

Ross Copeland, second-year History and Politics student

Ross Copeland, representative of Warwick Brexit and second-year History and Politics student said: “The University is acting as a recipient of funding from the EU so has a vested interest in staying in. I would point out that such funding could be provided following Brexit since we wouldn’t have to pay the extortionate membership fee.”

When asked whether he thought it ok that the University will not be politically neutral Ross supported the Universities right to a stance saying that “since it is a direct vested interest it’s understandable that it would act in what it thinks to be its best interests”.

• Lets not beat around the bush – this decision is designed to influence voters. Perhaps the University also has a view, on “Academic grounds”, as to how I should vote in *national* elections?

So, Prof Stuart Croft, should I vote Tory, Labour or UKIP?

The University should stay out of Politics.

• *Please* put University of Warwick!

Warwick University is not a thing.