Photo: Warwick Media Library

Warwick ties with Coventry for student experience

Warwick University has been ranked 35th for student experience, in the annual Times Higher Education 2016 Survey.

The ranking, released on the 17 March, awarded Warwick joint with local Varsity rivals Coventry University, beating Manchester, Edinburgh and Glasgow who came 38th, 41st and 41st respectively.

Over 15,000 full-time undergraduates were surveyed on 21 separate attributes. These were weighted from very important including good support/welfare, good environment on campus and high quality facilities, to not as important attributes such as cheap shop/bar, library and sports facilities.

Warwick’s score is a drop from last year’s result, where it placed 17th.

Whilst being on par with Coventry doesn’t look great, our world ranking is much higher and a significant increase from last year’s putting us in the top 100.

Alex Sturtivant, third-year Discrete Maths

Loughborough came out on top, with an overall score of 86.2, followed by Harper Adams University, which specialises in Farming and Agricultural studies. The University of Sheffield came third, and was also awarded No. 1 Students’ Union for the 8th year in a row.

Peter Dunn, director of press and policy at the University, commented: “It’s not the first time we have shared similar ranking with Coventry University.

“In 2015 the Times and Sunday Times named us University of the Year 2015 the same year as Coventry was named Modern University of year which was a great accolade for the city and region.”

Nisha Patel, second-year Law student, disagreed with Coventry’s similar score, claiming Warwick has “accessibility and a community feel” and that the two are “distinct”.

She added: “Although the results might be a reflection of the geographical location of both universities, I still find the lack of difference between the two rankings quite surprising.”

In the last year, we have demonstrations, violence towards students on campus, reports of undercover security guards – all major incidents harming student happiness.

Lewis Thomas, second-year English and Creative Writing

Third-year Discrete Maths student Alex Sturtivant remarked: “Whilst being on par with Coventry doesn’t look great, our world ranking is much higher and a significant increase from last year’s putting us in the top 100.”

Meanwhile, Lewis Thomas, second-year English and Creative Writing student, was not surprised at Warwick’s lower ranking, blaming corporate sponsors and profit valued over students: “In the last year, we have demonstrations, violence towards students on campus, reports of undercover security guards – all major incidents harming student happiness.”