Image: Gordon Joly \ Flickr

Tesco to reduce food wastage to zero by 2017

Tesco has introduced a new food-saving scheme which would save tens of thousands of tonnes of food in hopes of reducing food wastage to zero by December 2017.

The initiative, an open digital platform which allows stores to coordinate with charities in order to share out surplus, comes after three years of partnership between FareShare and Tesco.

The Irish technological platform, FoodCloud, works together with FareShare’s redistribution charity network to ensure surplus food is shared directly to frontline organisations.

Tesco store managers use FoodCloud to inform charities of the surplus which is then picked up directly from the stores.

The charities and organisations involved are first vetted by FareShare to ensure the food is used safely and taken to the appropriate places. FareShare hopes this will grow to include homeless shelters, women’s refuges, clubs for disadvantages children, and projects for the elderly and the addicted.

The project has already begun in 14 stores around the UK and generated over 22 tonnes of food — or 50,000 meals. This week, however, FoodShare FoodCloud will launch in 15 additional cities and regions. It it projected to cover all UK stores by the end of next year.

According to company estimates, Tesco threw away 55,400 tonnes of food across the country in the last year alone, while it is estimated that well over half – 30,000 tonnes – could have been eaten. This comes to approximately 70 million meals.

Dave Lewis, Tesco’s chief executive, spoke about his commitment to achieving zero food wastage within the next two years: “We know the challenge is bigger than this and that’s why we’ve made a farm to fork commitment to reduce food waste upstream with our suppliers and in our own operations and downstream in our customers’ own homes.”

FareShare chief executive Lindsay Boswell added that their partnership has already provided nine million meals to people in need: “We are delighted to be offering our store level solution in partnership with Tesco who are demonstrating real leadership in tackling food surplus.”

Although more food providers, such as Pret A Manger and Waitrose, who also work with FareShare, are beginning to look into redistributing surplus food, it is estimated that of the seven million tonnes thrown away every year in the UK, more than half could have been eaten.

While the Warwick SU donates and converts some surplus into biofuel, the University does not currently donate food to charity, and has thrown away over £56,000 worth of food over the last year.