No More Arsey Darcy

A lot of classical literature seems centred on the idea of, or at least in the end is cheerfully resolved by, the female protagonist getting married – think Pride and Prejudice or Jane Eyre. But is this really relevant for the modern day audience?

Back in the first half of the 19th century, when both of these novels were written, women were given relatively few options other than marriage, so naturally wanted to make the best match possible. There were a few low-paid jobs women could do, but the most stable position for a woman was as a wife, mother and housekeeper, while the husband did the actual earning.

But is it time to do away with novels focused on romantic relationships, and focus on personal achievements and inner fulfilment instead?

Of course, these days, in the UK at least, women can do virtually every job that men can, and even with some issues around equal pay, the ‘pink tax’ and women being discouraged from some lines of work, women are far more able to financially support themselves. There is not so much societal pressure to become mothers, less stigma attached to remaining single, and many opportunities to learn and travel and enjoy yourself without a romantic partner.

So is finding ‘Mr Right’ really still so important? A quick google search would suggest yes – the results contain lots of dating sites, articles about how to meet people, beauty tips for attracting people – and the plethora of romance and chick-lit novels released in the last 20 years would seemingly concur with this. Even in books not typically driven by romance – like thrillers, fantasy, sci-fi – typically the guy gets the girl, or vice versa.

I think we should be challenging ourselves to read more novels that defy happy-ever-after and push our own boundaries

But is it time to do away with novels focused on romantic relationships, and focus on personal achievements and inner fulfilment instead? While romantic novels can be entertaining and uplifting, I personally find it refreshing to read some novels that don’t tie up the story in a neat bow of marriage and happy-ever-after, purely because it’s less predictable, not so over-done and, at the risk of sounding cynical, just more realistic.

Books about friendships, family or just personal growth can be just as fulfilling to read

Some of the books I have enjoyed most haven’t been ones that end with the main two characters getting together at all. Books about friendships, family or just personal growth can be just as fulfilling to read. Besides, this generation has enough going on without the pressure of being bombarded with books and films that suggest you have to find the person of your dreams before you hit 25!

So while reading about people happily in love can make us feel warm and fuzzy and definitely has its place, I think we should be challenging ourselves to read more novels that defy happy-ever-after and push our own boundaries. After all, your personal storyline is just as important!

Image Credits: Ryan Johnson / Flickr (Header)